Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are my options for a cheap shop?

don't forget

Insulate it now or never.
    Plenty of electic power and outlets.
    From my experience or inexperience.
    I have a 20 X 28 foot garage that is crowded but I am thankful for that. Harry

Look at Miracle Trusses.

I built a 16 x 30 steel truss building 15 years ago. The Company was O.D. Funk in Little Rock Arkansas. It was really easy and cheap. I don't know if those trusses are built anymore, but Miracle Truss company is out there.

Back then, concrete work was $1500, building $1500, I don't have figures on electric or heating, because my building had that stuff installed as part of a larger building project.

What about an add on to your garage? Three walls rather than four and property taxes are generally less than with a free standing building.

Joe

Well, based on some of the prices you guys are talking about, it doesn't look like I am going to do it. I can just finish 1/2 of the basement and expand on that if I ever do a dedicated shop. Thanks for the help.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    Well, based on some of the prices you guys are talking about, it doesn't look like I am going to do it. I can just finish 1/2 of the basement and expand on that if I ever do a dedicated shop. Thanks for the help.

Stefan
    Stefan,
    I'm in the same boat - I have 1/2 the basement for now. When I retire (long time from now), I'll "do it right" with a separate bilding and radiant floor heat - I think my climate should be pretty close to yours...

Cheers,
    -Mike

That's funny Mike, we have the exact same description of where we live. So I guess our climate is similar. Half a basement is better than no basement!

Stefan

You just gave me a great idea....I am going upstairs with my DC and compressor! For some reason I never thought of that before, I was thinkin' in the addition I will build, but upstairs makes more sense for the drops to the machines from the DC!!

Does the ceiling height limit your placement options for the DC upstairs? Are you sure you wanna haul a full bag/container down the stairs on a regular basis?

KC

Yep...it won't work as planned...it's a barn roof and will not be tall enough. I thought about the bags in and out too...guess it'll be in the addition after all.