Thread: Hickory table

Hickory table

I had someone contact me that had several old planks of hickory (12" wide, 2" thick, 9-13" long) and wanted a large, but simple table from it. It was a fun project, but dang hickory is heavy and hard.

I had to get picky at the lumber yard to get enough boards to match the grain in the hickory (lumber yards treat hickory and pecan the same, so 90% of the time you are getting pecan, but every so often you get a true hickory board, so I had to persuade the yard to actually look for some hickory, but I think I got everything matched together well.

legs are via anchor bolts that go through some 1.75" thick hard maple brackets:

The owner wanted it slightly distressed, so i got out some tow chains and 10" long, 5/8" lag bolts and beat the snot out of the top. You get a true appreciation of how hard hickory is when you try to distress it. I started light, but that wood is dense and hard as heck. I really had to lay in to it to get some distressing dents/dings.

I suggested a large drawer in one end for placemats and those big serving trays that you use 1-2 times a year and have no where else to put. I had some big 28" full extension drawer guides I salvaged from a ship chart table that was being tossed in the dumpster, so those got put to good use.

Now to load it up and deliver it. the dang top has to be pushing 250+ pounds, but will be a great table. The top is ~109" x 42" wide (strategically 2" narrower than the wheel wells in the bed of my truck)
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Beautiful table...must be a little tough beating it up after all that nice work. Good move on the dimensions...now that's really thinking a project through to the end!
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 09-04-2015 at 6:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    Very nice work. I wish you were closer. I have a bunch of hickory that I really have no use for. No pecan trees here in NW PA.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That looks great! What's the finish?

Very nice Alex .

Beautiful table!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

jay, the finish is general finish colonial maple gel stain, then a spray on coat of shellac and then about 4 coats of waterlox satin/flat wiped on. I am 50/50 on if i like distressed furniture as a style (it works well in some settings), but i've come to the conclusion that distressing furniture was a style created by a furniture maker who got tired of stuff getting busted up in his shop and repairing it, so he called it a 'feature'
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Ah! The beauty of wood!

Good results and good pics!!! Thanks
    Jerry