Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening idea that has not been discussed here! new breed of oil stones...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Loading and glazing over is going to happen quickly. Made that mistake years ago by accident. Sat in the bottom of the box at work until tossed out.
    jim
    Jim, which stone was it? Did it glaze after a while or as soon as you used it with oil? Did you lap the surface to remove glazing ?

It was long ago so I'm not sure of the brand but I believe it was a king s-3. The oil went deep into the stone kerosene I think because that was what we used on oil stones. It did not take long til it was either gooey or slick or both. Not worth the effort to use.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I wonder if it was because of the kerosene, since whatever you use will stay in the stone as opposed to just on it.

Not a language? Shows you how bad I am at your language,Matthew!!

Ah,yes,Harold. Some had no luck in the new duck!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Ah,yes,Harold. Some had no luck in the new duck!
    And THAT s_____...uh, stinks!
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    Lol Hebrew...I thought you were kidding!
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 09-04-2015 at 6:15 PM.

I'm curious which industry he refers to when he states "industry standard".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I'm curious which industry he refers to when he states "industry standard".
    Machinists, Cnc machines and so on use a mixture of oil and water as a cutting fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I did not notice Matthew's request for "translation" earlier.
    And there are diverse manner of whetstones, and some need oil and some need water for to whet, but oil makes it smooth and water makes the edge fully sharp as Isadore says in his book chapter 3. [waterstones sharpen and oilstones polish]

This text is a 1398 translation into English from a Latin text that was written in England in 1240. They quote Isadore who lived 540-636. Isadore consolidated ancient knowledge into an encyclopedia. The idea that some need oil and some need water has been around a good long while.

Blog Entries
    Thank Warren. I am not trying in any way to dispute that some stones need only water and might be ruined by oil. Only to say that maybe there are some water stones that can be used successfully with oil. So far the sigma 1.2 is a formidable oil stone, which for me makes it much more useful. If there is any interest what so ever, I'll report back later down the road. I thought the topic is very interesting, especially to those who like using oilstones, but folks here seem reluctant or uninterested to explore the topic.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 09-05-2015 at 8:29 AM.

Senior moment,Matthew. My wife is Jewish,and I did know better. Just getting too old!!

When I was the musical instrument maker in Williamsburg,I tried many stones. I used a frictionite razor stone with light oil for years. Incorrect,but it didn't plug up,and worked fine. I never liked water stones because they weren't handy in the small shop,and seemed to always manage to get bits of rust on my tools no matter how clean I wiped them. A stone and a small squirt can of oil worked just fine. The Frictionite was not a soft or porous stone compared to most,so the oil did not ever glaze it. I wouldn't try that on the usual water stones,though.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-05-2015 at 8:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'll just have to see how the sigma reacts over time, it's very hard but does soak up some oil. Does mineral oil change over time?

I have a squirt can of Starrett Instrument oil,which is just mineral oil. It's tip is open,and it is years old. No change I can see or smell.

Hi Matthew

From memory (passing conversations a few years ago now), Philip Marcou has long used oil (I think kero) on King waterstones. I recall thinking that he was crazy when he mentioned this, and was not inclined to test it out. Maybe not so crazy ...?

You like the Sigma 1200? I used it after the Shapton 1000, and returned to the Shapton, which cuts faster. It may be the difference between a 1000 and 1200.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Machinists, Cnc machines and so on use a mixture of oil and water as a cutting fluid.
    Fair enough but I don't think (or at least I didn't get the impression) that he was referring to machinery but to hand techniques. Meh, just sounds contrived.

EDIT: But who am I to say, he may be some type of professional just wish he had given clarity to the statement; at least he donated his time to producing the piece and it does seem that he believes what he's saying...
    Last edited by John Kananis; 09-06-2015 at 12:27 AM.