Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Real cost of hand tool woodworking

Some people are really exaggerating the costs of woodworking. Woodworking can be dirt cheap. You just have to tone down your expectations a bit when starting out. I guess, nowadays, most people starting with woodworking allready have some "handyman" experience and tools. A jigsaw, a drill, a handsaw, a few chisels even some measuring and marking stuff. Add a simple #4 plane and an India coarse/fine stone and you can allready make a bunch of beginners projects. Make them from pine or poplar or something similar and all will go well. You don't need a double garage full of equipement to make a few boxes, a coat rack and a book shelf. From there on you just buy new tools as you need them, not because you read about them in a magazine.

I completely agree with Kees' comments.

When I started out, it was in my mid 20's (now 40 years ago!). My wife and I lived in a small apartment and I had a toolbox that contained a power jigsaw, corded drill and a set of chisels as the main tools. I build bookcases, shelves, renovated one house with these meagre tools. It was only when we moved to our current house, 25 years ago, that I began to add handtools. I had a Stanley #3 and then a #5 1/2, followed by a block plane. Tools were added as they were needed. None of the hand tools were new. One does not need many tools to build a house or furniture.

Go to this thread to see the house building tools of a craftsman in the early part of last century: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=198218

I now have more handtools than 10 craftsmen need over a life time of woodworking. I am not a good model for anyone starting out. What can I say - I get curious and want to try it out. I do sell or give stuff away. I would be just as happy having a few tools, and I am at the point where I am wanting to thin out the herd towards this end. Over the next year I shall probably do so. The difficulty lies with many of the tools are not just "tools" but memories. How does one give those away?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Kees and Derek There are many good posts here but you two have hit the nail on the head. When I wrote the original post I had read about someone starting out sharpening and the advice went immediately to three high dollar water stones. I just thought how overwhelming that would be for someone starting with a 20 dollar Stanley. Kees your picture is the thousand word thing for sure. Derek your story is the real truth for many people, myself included. Woodworking is a great hobby and it doesn't have to be expensive. All if the advice given on this forum is good but it is also good to know that an India stone will work very well for that old Stanley and there is no shame in using a hard point saw. The rest of the stuff will come if you are bitten by the bug.
    Jim

To be honest, I now have enough for 2 -3 real crafstmen too

Blog Entries
    I had read about someone starting out sharpening and the advice went immediately to three high dollar water stones. I just thought how overwhelming that would be for someone starting with a 20 dollar Stanley.
    Folks love to spend other people's money.

Part of my evolution of sharpening was starting cheap and moving up as more was learned. For me the benefit is learning scary sharp, water stones, diamond stones and finally oilstones. Now there is no hesitation going to the system that will best handle the edge in hand.

My most expensive stones were water stones, but some of them were purchased used. Many of my oilstones were also purchased used and two of my favorite translucent Arkansas stones were bought at a gem an mineral show for $1 each. Wish I had bought more.

My finest water stone is an 8000 Norton. There are times when a finer stone seems to tempt me. Maybe my edges could be just a touch sharper. As it is some folks think it crazy to get a kick out of sub thousandths shavings. Maybe the folks who smirk at thin shavings are the same folks who suggest the three high dollar water stones.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bet I'm a real piker with regards to my total hand tool investment, partly because I started out using mostly power tools and since I have them I use them (drill press, router, bandsaw, table saw, 12 planer, compound miter saw). My hand tools have been mostly flea market or garage sale finds, some birthday / Christmas presents, and a few select purchase. None the less, I bet my total hand tool expenditure is at least $700 - $900. Sure you can just start with a few tools, but no one is EVER satisfied with that. You will always need more, and you will justify purchasing specialty items because they make your work easier, save time, are more accurate, etc. For example, a router plane isn't necessary but it sure is a nice to have. I get by with my router instead because I have it and it gets the job done and I still haven't found one at a flea market.

[QUOTE=Christian Thompson;2463504

I bought that video "the naked woodworker" from lost art press because I really need to build a new bench. But I really don't want to build a new bench :-). Supposedly the bench in the video is quick and easy to build and looks traditional enough. Anyway, I still haven't watched the video, but I guess the premise was to get from nothing to a decent setup with a minimum of investment. The summary of the video says about $700, but that's for the whole deal.[/QUOTE]

The idea behind The Naked Woodworker is to help people get started in woodworking with a minimum outlay of cash. In the first segment we buy the tools at a MWTCA tool meet, nothing staged. We go over what to look for and what to avoid and you see what the tools actually cost. We then refurbish the tools for use in the second half of the video which is about using the tools to build a pair of sawhorses and an English joiners bench. Our actual cost was $571 for all of the tools, a grinder and Oneway tool rest and the materials for the bench and sawhorses. All of the work was done in less than three days, a person with less experience would of course take longer. So a pretty decent tool kit, sawhorses and a work bench for far less than $1000. There is a run through on you tube showing a smaller version of the bench in use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4 There are no vises on the bench to keep costs down but they could be added later. Give it a watch Christian!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Siemsen View Post
    The idea behind The Naked Woodworker is to help people get started in woodworking with a minimum outlay of cash. In the first segment we buy the tools at a MWTCA tool meet, nothing staged. We go over what to look for and what to avoid and you see what the tools actually cost. We then refurbish the tools for use in the second half of the video which is about using the tools to build a pair of sawhorses and an English joiners bench. Our actual cost was $571 for all of the tools, a grinder and Oneway tool rest and the materials for the bench and sawhorses. All of the work was done in less than three days, a person with less experience would of course take longer. So a pretty decent tool kit, sawhorses and a work bench for far less than $1000. There is a run through on you tube showing a smaller version of the bench in use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4 There are no vises on the bench to keep costs down but they could be added later. Give it a watch Christian!
    Thanks Mike - I watched some of the youtube video and it already answered a few questions that have come up with my my latest project (planing the table top for a coffee table). I've been fighting my small makeshift bench and the ability to clamp a board to the back of the bench as a planing stop would be a huge improvement. So maybe I need to move the bench project up in the queue :-).

Most of my hand planes I inherited from my father, who inherited them from his father. They're pre WWII vintage and work very well. Maintenance is a wipe with WD-40 once in a while and some paste wax. A can of Johnson's lasts a looong time.

My chisels are plastic handled Fuller and Stanley. Carbon steel gets very sharp. My Arkansas stones are 30+ years old and still work well. The only investment in hand tools I've made in 25 years is a honing guide - my eyes and dexterity aren't what they used to be.

I have a small collection of hand saws too, also inherited, but they don't get much use - I'm just not very good with them.

Hand tools don't have to be a major investment... unless you want them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I had read about someone starting out sharpening and the advice went immediately to three high dollar water stones.
    Jim
    With the exception of Paul Sellers, from Rob Cosman to Chris Schwarz to all the "boutique" tool makers and many others (including magazine editors) would sing praises on high-end things and how much difference a premium tool would make your (woodworking) life easier and better. To some extent, yes, but not the full extent they want you to believe in. They like to say it's expensive or it's not cheap, BUT....

The line is getting blurred between real woodworking and consumerism in the hype of product marketing and the race for the newest tool. I often see one of these Knew saws in magazines (not as an ad) as if one must have one of those to cut dovetails. What happened to the $20 fret saw or coping saw? They are not stylish enough!

The truth is -- may be many don't want to admit it -- woodworking is expensive unless you have set your mind on doing it the other way. There's a reason why many refer to taking up woodworking as going down the slippery slope.

Simon

Hi Simon

I have issues with many approaches on the Internet ... because inevitably someone is trying to convince you that their way is the only way. Most rational people know that there are many ways to skin a cat.

I like that Paul Sellers is encouraging entry level woodworkers, and that he does so by demonstrating that a basic tool set up is all that is needed. What he does not add is that this is OK to start, and that some may want to move on as tastes mature and abilities grow and income is freed up. What he says - which is reflected in the rigid attitude of his followers - is that anything else is a waste of money.

Both Rob Cosman and Chris Schwarz are there - like Paul Sellers - to sell you something. Nothing wrong with that. Many have gained from their experience and knowledge. Even on the forums I do not mind that someone has a strong opinion and a desire to communicate what they have learned. That's what the forums are all about. We learn from one another. What does irk me is when they try and sell something by denigrading anyone who does it differently. I lose all interest when it comes down to "my way is the only way" and this message is communicated with a lack of respect for others.

This applies to choice of tools as well. There is a difference between "this plane is better than that plane" and "you cannot produce good work if you do not own this plane". One statement is evaluating a tool, while the other is limiting the tool user. The same applies to guilt-evoking attitudes such as "you cannot be a serious woodworker if you enjoy the tools you use". There will always be those who live vicariously and those who live by example. I will not dictate which is right and which is wrong. There is neither.

I started with few tools, and they were cheap. I could say that it is 40 years on and I have earned the right to nice tools. But that is a nonsense rationalisation. I enjoy building and using tools almost as much as I enjoy building furniture. Full stop. Should I - and others - feel guilty that I own nice tools? At the same time should someone be made to feel that they are less equal because they do not have nice tools? That is just as horrible, just as bigoted.

I do not have an answer. I just say to someone starting out that the priority is that they learn to work the wood (and there are different ways they may do so), make something that they can be proud of, and hopefully that the process will bring satisfaction and esteem. You do not need many tools to do this. Before the Internet and forums came along we had fewer ways of making comparisons and becoming aware of the range of tools on offer. Perhaps it was simpler then and the goals were clearer. Many now are influenced by those wanting to be accepted by their particular peer group, and choices are made on that basis. That is where problems begin.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-10-2015 at 8:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I've been slowly adding hand tools over the last couple of years. I'm frugal. I don't by many things I don't need and I try to buy good quality tools that will last. I have a mix of new and vintage tools. I started with sandpaper on glass to sharpen but soon switched to diamond plates with a waterstone to finish.

I don't have everything I need to do basic prep work and joinery but I'm fairly close. It's mostly specialized tools like shoulder planes that I'm missing. Even so, I rarely need to consider using a power router. I could probably stand to acquire a #7 or #8, but I use a power jointer and thickness planer, so I don't really need one.

Counting every hand tool and supply I've bought, I have not yet spent $1000. Every tool works well and none have required more than a couple of dollars to rehab.

One can spend a lot on premium boutique tools but it's not necessary.
    I have a no 7 I am looking to sell...

Derek, I think that your post covers it. I think the objective is to work wood and enjoy it. The tool you have in your hand is the best tool for the job, for you, at that moment.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    What he does not add is that this is OK to start, and that some may want to move on as tastes mature and abilities grow and income is freed up. What he says - which is reflected in the rigid attitude of his followers - is that anything else is a waste of money.

Both Rob Cosman and Chris Schwarz are there - like Paul Sellers - to sell you something. Nothing wrong with that. Many have gained from their experience and knowledge.
    Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi Derek,

You have many valid points. However, if we look at the traditional woodworking scene, the imbalance dominantly favors those who advocate fancy, expensive and new (and newer) products. These people are influential not only to beginners but also to many seasoned woodworkers (followers or whatever they should be called). When you have a master in XXX say you can cut XXX better, easy, cleaner and whatnot with this $300 XXX, those who do not possess the skill would think that's what they need. I am not saying higher priced tools are necessarily not worth their prices (prices are as good as people are willing to pay); I am saying if someone hasn't acquired the skill to cut plumb or chisel to the line, no fancy saws or chisels in the world will get them the airtight dovetails or tenons.

The emphasis, I believe, should be on techniques and skills and not tools. When I open a magazine page, all I see is the newest, most stylish and brand name planes,, chisels, etc. (and needless to say, a few pages down or up, one can see the color ads on those new tools or an editor's "review" about how nice the new saw or marking tool or plane feels great in your hand).

This is not to say we should avoid premium tools and products; I think we should support them as long as those of us who can afford them and who admire their high standards. But in the last ten years, many seem to have been worshiping quality tools as being the same as quality skill & work. They aren't.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I think that is partially due to the format we're working with. It's hard to show a skill online, best you can do is show photos of the skills results or videos of work in process. Both of which are not perfect formats for showing skills, but often times they do get you part of the way there.

the tools are fun to talk about, and the skills often are a product of thousands of hours in the workshop. Incredibly important, but not as exciting of a conversation.

I also think that if you take the time to be an expert on each tool that you purchase, it will slow your consumption and greatly increase your results.

Put your extra money toward lumber
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.