Thread: Help drilling angled holes on drill press.

Help drilling angled holes on drill press.

I have some 2x4s that I need to drill holes in the narrow side along the length of the board at around 2 degree angle. This is for installing conduit pipes in the holes as lumber supports with the 2x4s anchored to wall of garage. Can anyone provide a photo or process of how to setup this angle on my drill press. I cant easily adjust the table so I thought about a wood block on one side of table and rest 2x4 on that block and other side of table. There is a video on U tube but the person is using a bevel protractor and those cost some $$. Thanks,
    Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Blog Entries
    A Forstner bit can drill angled holes pretty easily. Make aux table from a piece of scrap ply wood. Figure out the angle you need and place a sticker under one side of the plywood on your drill press table to achieve the desired angle for your holes. Clamp or bolt down the plywood. Clamp the piece to be bored so it won't move as you start the boring process.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You clamp a slightly-slanted platform on the drill press table. You can make it with a piece of plywood with a piece of wood under one edge.
    If I understand your application correctly, you don't need exactly 2 degrees, so you don't need that bevel protractor whose cost you're concerned about. Just eyeball something that looks okay.

Jack,
    I built the same wood rack several years ago. I just tilted the table on my drill press (it was a bench top Delta) and used a Forstner drill bit to make the holes. I used roller stands to support the 2x4 while drilling. There was an article in popular woodworking several years ago by Christopher Schwartz about this. Let me know if you have any questions.
    hope this helps,
    Tom