Thread: tools on the cheap

tools on the cheap

Home grown hand tools

by asharrownu » 07 Sep 2015 02:40 pm
    45 years ago, when I was 22, I got inspired by an old tool catalog and decided it would be fun to try to make some woodworking tools. The only power tools available to help with the job were a drill press and a wood lathe.

I had hardwood pallet wood and an oak wagon axle that had been out in the weather for 20 years (it was on the wheels, so off the ground).

The mallet, square and marking gauge at the bottom of the first photo were made from these materials. I sawed the parts with handsaws, planed as needed, bored a hole in the marking gauge head with a bit brace, and chiseled the hole to fit the bar. The screw eye-thumb screw is flat on the end and bears on a metal clip I made. The blade of the square is apple (I had read that rulers were often made of apple. But that was no reason to think it would be good for this use. I was just an ignorant kid.)

The top three marking gauges I made in the last three or four days after getting inspired to try to do better. I must admit that I used power tools except for chiseling the square hole, but the gauges are hand tools.

The only annoying part of making these is marking the scales. I can do the spacing for the inch and half-inch easily. The quarters and eights take longer and more care. But the real stinker is how to make the lines. I tried cutting them with a chisel, but the stress popped a couple of spaces loose on the eighths. Then I tried burning them, but that darkened too much wood. Finally resorted to just scoring with a knife. There has to be a better way.

The bars and head are ipe, the thumbscrews are holly. A chisel might be OK on a softer wood.

I now have a marking gauge for each of my tool boxes and one for the bench. I might make some more for my sons or grandsons--IF any of them show any interest in woodworking....

Jim001.JPG
    003.JPG
    004.JPG
    005.JPG

Blog Entries
    Those look quite functional.

One of my thoughts was to get a threaded rod with 16 or 32 tpi and attach a rule at a right angle to travel along the threads for marking increments evenly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That thoughts been bouncing around in my head too. Just haven't gotten down to details. Then there is the problem that threaded rod producers make no particular effort to ensure that two inches of travel takes exactly 32 turns. Lead screws for lathes and milling machines are intended to be that accurate, but sort of inconvenient to rip one out for this purpose. I have tried to think how I could set the bar up on the mill and mark it. That idea has not distilled to details yet either.