Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question LN iron/LV iron?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question LN iron/LV iron?

LN stopped producing O-1 iron awhile back. I've never been a big fan of A-2, mostly because I prefer using Arkansas oil stones for sharpening. Nothing wrong with waterstones, in fact I have a couple of sets and love the Shapton 120 for rough work but for day to day working at the bench nothing works better or quicker than oil..

Come on Bubba get to the chase.

I have some extra LV irons in both PM-V11 and O-1 that I thought I would try in a couple of my later LN planes replacing the A-2 irons that came with the planes. No joy oil breath, I've fiddled, pushed and pulled, looked cross, moved frogs, set the irons and chip breakers on the frog and everything looks OK. Put the lever cap on and the back of the iron comes off the frog about a silly mm. I've tried with a #4, a #4 1/2 and a #5, same story with each.

I know I have to be overlooking something and fully expect to suffer flat head syndrome when it is pointed out, BTW same story with either LN or LV cap irons.

ken

Why don't you try either a Clifton iron (The Best Things) or Ray Isles (Tools for Working Wood)? I have several of the Clifton's and one of the Isles and like both equally well. I am not an A2 fan, but have had good results with LV's PMV-11 (sharpen it with Sypderco ceramic stones).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure the slot in the iron is wide enough for the lateral adjusting disk?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Are you sure the slot in the iron is wide enough for the lateral adjusting disk?

jtk
    Jim,

Just went out to the shop to double check and yes the disk fits the slot with a little slack. While out there I measured the screw head on both the LN and the LV each is 3.80mm.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

Just went out to the shop to double check and yes the disk fits the slot with a little slack. While out there I measured the screw head on both the LN and the LV each is 3.80mm.

ken
    Then we have to start the trouble shooting.

Does the blade w/chip breaker seat on the frog properly without the lever cap?

Is it possible the chip breaker is flexing the blade?

This is another situation where pictures might help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Why don't you try either a Clifton iron (The Best Things) or Ray Isles (Tools for Working Wood)? I have several of the Clifton's and one of the Isles and like both equally well. I am not an A2 fan, but have had good results with LV's PMV-11 (sharpen it with Sypderco ceramic stones).
    Tony,

After posting I was digging around in my spare iron pile and found a long lost Ray Iles O-1 2 3/8" iron. It didn't work any better than the LVs. I think what is happening is the cap iron screw head is hitting something but that makes no sense because all should lay flat on the frog with screw head down. All have the same reference surface so there should be no difference in screw head protrusion. The only difference is thickness of the irons but that shouldn't effect the screw head.

Can you tell....I haven't a clue.

ken

Blog Entries
    I think what is happening is the cap iron screw head is hitting something but that makes no sense because all should lay flat on the frog with screw head down. All have the same reference surface so there should be no difference in screw head protrusion. The only difference is thickness of the irons but that shouldn't effect the screw head.
    The screw on the cap iron/chip breaker sits in a recess in the frog. If the screw head doesn't sit in this recess when the depth adjuster is engaged, then there will be a problem.

One problem I had with a replacement blade and cap iron is the screw was a bit too long and interfered with the lever cap's operation. I filed it down and all was better.

jtk

I went back to the shop to check one more time and had my Emily Litella moment....Never mind.

Damn it's tough getting old. I still haven't a clue what was wrong or what changed.

ken

I went back to the shop to check one more time and had my Emily Litella moment....Never mind.

Damn it's tough getting old. I still haven't a clue what was wrong or what changed.

ken
    So you just tried again and it properly bedded?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries

ken
    Been there, done that... Likely to happen again.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Been there, done that... Likely to happen again.

jtk
    I expect more and more often. Thanks for trying to help.

ken

Blog Entries
    I

Damn it's tough getting old. I still haven't a clue
    ken
    Welcome to the club!

Thanks Derek,

Yep, the LV cap iron is just enough different they will not work on LN planes whatever iron you use. Something was shifting when I installed the lever cap, I still haven't figured out what but whatever it went away.

ken

14. lateral adjuster failed to insert in the slot?

The problem is that the screw is 1/4" higher on the LN (here are #4 1/2s) ...

Same as for #3 ...

... and the slot on the chipbreaker is also 1/4" higher on the LN (here with a Stanley and a Clifton, which have the same positions for the slot) ..

I have used a Veritas PM-V11 blade on a LN #51 shooting plane, but using the LN chipbreaker. I cannot recall if other combinations worked on the #3 and #4 1/2 I have.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-08-2015 at 2:17 AM.