Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impact driver; what is the point??

Impact driver; what is the point??

Hi all,

I would appreciate you thought about impact drivers.
    I've never owned one before, but heard so many good things about it.

I had an old DeWalt 14.4V driver/drill and when I bought a Milwaukee 12V driver, I was totally impressed. Light, strong, good clutch, nice control, oh, and even a small light! So, the heavy, unwieldy DeWalt happily retired.
    For long time, I had my eye on the Milwaukee 12V impact driver, but didn't feel the necessity.

I have seen some demonstrations how easily an impact driver can drive big screws to frames, but my works are mostly furniture and I use only tiny screws.
    But then, I decided to put some stud frames on the walls of my basement shop. So, I thought it is a good time to try an impact driver.

Well, I was completely puzzled, because this thing, just keep making incredibly loud noises forever while the screws are going so slow. This was for 2-inch screws, but it had hard time screwing even 1-inch screws; it gives good several seconds of loud impacts to drive them.

If I switch to my regular 12V driver, it has no problem driving them quietly and smoothly. So, I have no idea why I have to endure the sound while a regular driver can quietly get the job done and for demanding tasks, it just keeps hammering forever....

I'm also puzzled that the impact driver doesn't have any controls or adjustment mechanism for the impact action.

Maybe I'm missing something??

I have the 12V DeWalt impact driver and really like it. An impact driver is not like a drill that has a clutch so it takes a bit to get used to. I find that it drives screws faster and I break less with the impact driver than with a drill driver. You can control the impact pressure with the trigger, but if I'm working with a screw that I feel is fragile, such as brass screws, I'll stop before the screw is fully driven and use a screwdriver to finish it.

It's hard to describe in words - you really need to use one for a while. If you were close to me, I'd lend you my DeWalt for a week or so to allow you to get the feel if it.

Otherwise, buy someplace where they'll allow you to return it if you're not satisfied.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

From what you describe it's out of battery. There is no way (simply no way) you can drive a screw in with a drill but the impact driver fails. They are typically 2-3 times the torque of an equal size drill/driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Susumu Mori View Post
    Hi all,

Maybe I'm missing something??
    Sounds like you pretty much got it. I have a 14.4v Makita drill motor and impact driver and would hate to loose either. I also have an 18v Dewalt impact wrench (like mechanics use for lug nuts), that has been invaluable in some instances. If you think the tool is a solution to a problem you don't have, or it's going to aggravate you unnecessarily, or it's just going to be collecting dust on a shelf - get rid of it.

Blog Entries
    I don't use my impact driver as much as my drill just because I hate the noise. One thing I've noticed with an impact driver is that there is far less tendancy for the bit to cam out when driving tough screws, such as TapCons into concrete.

I have one - but I only use it for construction tasks, and I like it for that. I've just never thought to use it when making furniture, installing hardware and such.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

I have a 12 V Milwaukee impact driver and a 12 V Milwaukee drill driver.
    Truth be told, I like the drill driver a whole lot better.
    I find there's more control than I have with the impact & it drives screws (for lack of a better term) "cleaner"....
    by that I mean, ziiiiiiiiiiiiip (sound of clutch) & it's done.
    While the impact is - AK AK AK AK AK AK-(stop, check depth) AK AK AK AK AK (stop check depth)AK AK AK AK AK AK AK.

IMHO - the 12V impact is an odd bird. Too little for some things, too much for some things & just right for a few things.

Recently, we had to redo a deck and put down 32 2X6X8's using 2.5" coated deck screws.
    The 12 V impact driver about burned itself up doing a dozen of the boards.
    My wife was using it while I used a regular old DeWalt 18V drill driver (NiCad).
    I had to have her rest the impact while I finished up most with the 18V.

I'm doing some pocket screw face frames the next few days. I'll see how it does with them.
    So far, I've been happy with the 12 V drill driver doing the pocket screws. I hate to switch when somethings working...

Anyhow - maybe a bigger impact driver would be better. The 12 V leaves me mostly cold too.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I bet it's been ten years since I last drove a fastener with a drill. Too little control, too inefficient with the batteries, too long of a tool for many places.

Thank you all and thanks Mike for the kind offer. Unfortunately, we are living in the other size of US

I guess my experience is closest to Rich's (even exactly the same driver).
    I also do noticed that, with the impact driver, the bit tends to stay better than the regular driver, as Roy said. It is certainly a plus, but I think I want far more power, control, ease, or something that would compensate the loud noise, which I just can't see from this 12V. I feel the hammer starts to engage far too soon (engage even in a situation where a 12V driver can sail through) and the hammer action is too weak. Maybe there is only so much we can expect from this tiny impact driver. BTW, I checked that the battery was full.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'm doing some pocket screw face frames the next few days. I'll see how it does with them.
    My advice is do not use the impact for pocket hole screws. You will easily over drive them and split the face frames
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    My advice is do not use the impact for pocket hole screws. You will easily over drive them and split the face frames
    +1 to that......

My $0.02 on impact driver is if you want to drive a lot of long screws it's awesome. Small screws and short ones, as mentioned, no clutch etc. not a good choice. Yep they make a lot of noise, and no control. But if you drive a lot of screws, they're much faster and I think you can drive more screws faster than a regular drill driver on a charge. No eveidence or testing, but it seems that way. Oh, you can drive lag bolts with it.

Some people consider me a pro. Up for debate. You need a drill first. If you use it enough you will love a driver. Most times I predrill, then drive. For cabinet work small driver. Metal roofs, large driver-no predrill. Use of both is mainly common sense. Let the tools work, point them in the right direction. I love my drivers and with the new bits (driver acceptable) my drills get a much needed rest. Predrill deck boards and large lumber. Both unit's batteries will last much longer. Works for me, hope it helps. CAR-Red Whale Woodworks

Blog Entries
    I won one for a tip to a WWing mag. I very seldom drive screws somewhere that an impact is usable so a lucky member on a forum got it gifted to him when his grew legs. They are great for those places where one drives screws without pilot holes; fences, framing, for anything slam-bang they're great. I just don't do enough of that to spare the room and I hate to see a good tool set in a drawer and rot. Win-win ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I love an impact driver. It is the one tool in my shop, that if it tears up to-day, I will replace it tomorrow.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I don't use my impact driver as much as my drill just because I hate the noise. One thing I've noticed with an impact driver is that there is far less tendancy for the bit to cam out when driving tough screws, such as TapCons into concrete.
    At least one other person dislikes the noise and the necessity to wear ear protection just to drive a screw. Any drill/driver will snap most screws that we use in woodworking but if doing construction or landscaping work it is another ball game. I have just finished building a very large deck and all the heavy fastening was done by air impact tools, mostly 1/2 inch drive with no pre-drilling, fast and appropriate for the job. I hate impact guns in a workshop with a passion and yes I do have one for confined space work where a big drill driver won't fit.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening