Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $8.00 # 605 flea market find

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

$8.00 # 605 flea market find

Let me start off by saying, of the hundreds of planes I have seen in the 15 years I have been sliding down this slippery slope, I have only handled one # 606 square side at a Shop Crawl our WW Guild had. Never even laid eyes on another Bedrock in person.
    At the flea today, a plastic box opened up with a " any item $10 " tag. There sat a flat side, which I promptly grabbed before my buddy Steve latched onto it.

Attachment 320925

I flipped it over, and much to my dismay:

A roached front knob base, and a dreaded braze line, an old fix.

I offered eight for ' the broken plane ' which the seller accepted; at least I now have a Bedrock in the stable. I might get it touched up at work in the Machine Shop, but I have more than one very capable #5, so it may just be the fact I have a BR.
    Blade, chipbreaker, tote and the frog are all more than serviceable; even the lever cap has escaped some fool using it to tighten the blade / CB screw, so it is not a lost eight bucks.
    Thought I would shock you with the juicy thread header -----
    Dave B
    Attached Images Attached Images

That lever cap and the frog are good parts to sell. The wood could be good too. The parts are the value. Nobody wants a broken plane. They are overrated anyway.

If its still flat and not warped you've got a heck of a find.

Hope you can avoid the machine shop because a $10 plane can turn into a $110 plane.

Sweet buy.
    Tend to agree with Mike.
    Going rate for a BR lever cap is around 30.
    So you have done very well.

A used BR sole can be found on line sometimes..better way than the machine shop.
    A welded plane bottom is still a broken plane.
    Last edited by David M Anderson; 09-07-2015 at 6:19 AM. Reason: more info
    "Have no part plane's just keep restoring them"
    "aka; acowboy"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post

I offered eight for ' the broken plane ' which the seller accepted; at least I now have a Bedrock in the stable.
    Let's just say, you...are not my favorite person right now.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    If its still flat and not warped you've got a heck of a find.

Hope you can avoid the machine shop because a $10 plane can turn into a $110 plane.
    +1. Nice find! I wouldn't let the damage deter me from trying to keep/use it at that price.

I'd check it for flatness, then see if I could smooth that braze out a bit on my flattening surface. (Or, if it's free, ask a guy at your work's machine shop. But I wouldn't pay to do this or you kinda ruin the really good deal you got). Then, if it is still not right, part it out as Mike suggests.

But you found an EIGHT DOLLAR Bedrock! It's worth a little elbow grease to try and salvage that just for the pleasure of finding such a thing!

Pleae let us know how it comes out an post some pics!

Fred

Edit: P.S. New Duck!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-07-2015 at 12:54 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Price bet my 607 I found a few years ago-it was $85.00. But then it had at least 95% japanning and looked like it hardly touched wood. This was at a flea market and at a dealer that had household stuffs, with the plane just stuck in among some plastic junk.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

We were actually TAUGHT to use the lever cap to tighten the chip breaker screw in shop class. I was too young to know better at the time,though I could see that I did not want to risk chipping the plating on the lever cap even back then.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Let's just say, you...are not my favorite person right now.
    Come on Harold - where is it??

Oh yes, $8.00 Canadian, heck, that is like $6.50 US$$ I have to say I am a lucky boy with this transaction - -

Dave B

New Duck??????

Hi Dave,

If you watch on Ebay, you sometimes see just Bed Rock bodies for sale with out any of the parts you bought for $8. The parts will fit either a 604 or 605 flat side. You also see Bed Rock planes with broken frogs. You have to watch the price, as some guys want almost as much for the body as entire planes bring. That said, I watch these a lot, and sooner or later a body will come up. I think there are some on now, but one I looked at was a rusted up piece of junk.

Like the others, though, I would try it first.

Stew

At an antique store in Aldergrove BC I got my 605 for $12.50,he had wanted $15, it was the cheapest plane in the pile. Cleaned up well. By the blade, assembled in Canada in '38. I have seen a couple at the local flea market, a #604 for $80 and a #608 for $125. At those prices, I passed. So there are at least four in BC.

I picked up a flat-sided 607 several years ago. Excellent condition, flat sole, no scratches or serious dings, Japanning 90+%, very nicely executed replacement RW tote, and a Hock "high-carbon" iron and breaker. He tossed in the original iron and breaker, all for $80. All I had to do was hone the iron and get rid of the cig smoke smell. It's my shooting plane.

Blog Entries
    Nice find.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You yuk