Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video of Burglar Casing My Home with Close Up

He was delivering my flood lights I didn't know who was behind me until I watched the video

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    I can't think of any property worth fighting for.
    Absolutely. Stuff ain't worth getting killed over.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

I can't think of any property worth fighting for
    I can...
    Having something stolen from me has always left me with a sense that I was violated.
    Yes - the item can be replaced, but, that's not the point.
    I traded something that can never be replaced - my time - for everything I have/own.
    For someone to just waltz in and take it away from me is just wrong on several levels.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I can...
    Having something stolen from me has always left me with a sense that I was violated.
    I traded something that can never be replaced - my time - for everything I have/own.
    For someone to just waltz in and take it away from me is just wrong on several levels.
    Your property is worth fighting for, BUT, there is a smart way and a dumb way. The dumb way involves putting yourself in danger of being seriously hurt or killed. The smart way involves doing things that discourage the bad guys from even trying to take you stuff. It also means getting the police involved and keeping yourself out of harms way. After all your own health and safety is a pretty valuable possession in itself.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

post the video to youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Seriously, scary. I suggest you find a different location for your camera though. It didn't take him any time to find it.
    Most cameras with night vision have a soft glow from the IR LEDs and are really easy to spot at night.

Steve

I totally agree with you Rich, I had a $500 chainsaw swiped from my shed, I worked long and hard to save the money to buy that saw and I really felt violated, I drove around for days trying to track down the culprits. Never did find them. Someone here said call the cops, that's a joke, they flat out told me they couldn't do anything and they wouldn't even try, just a waste of time and man power to look for stolen merchandise. Lord help anyone I ever catch stealing my property.1ownwer.jpg1911.jpg

I can...
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Respectfully Bert, you are missing one very important point. If it's something "outside", like in the video, and not someone entering your house, then why risk your life?

You are correct that the police can't do much once the culprit is gone, but you should always make a report. By doing so they can possibly link the same person with several crimes in the same area and increase the charges, hoping for more jail time, especially if they already have a record...most do

I'm married with 2 kids. If someone was stealing my chainsaw and I ran out in the dark to approach them, I risk the chance of never seeing my family again, never being a Dad or Husband again over a tool...too me it's not worth it. Yeah, they might not have any kind of weapon, but that would be unknown to me, so I'd be rolling the dice.

I agree with your frustration over the time and money spent to buy that chainsaw, honestly I do (I didn't say that I would be happy about it).

I don't even know you Bert and I'd bet the farm that you have both family and friends that would hope that you'd not approach a thief in a situation like that. It could end poorly over a chainsaw??? Your life is worth more than that.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I totally agree with you Rich, I had a $500 chainsaw swiped from my shed, I worked long and hard to save the money to buy that saw and I really felt violated, I drove around for days trying to track down the culprits. Never did find them. Someone here said call the cops, that's a joke, they flat out told me they couldn't do anything and they wouldn't even try, just a waste of time and man power to look for stolen merchandise. Lord help anyone I ever catch stealing my property.1ownwer.jpg1911.jpg
    Last edited by David Cramer; 09-10-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Thanks David I appreciate your concern, but its just my nature to protect and fight for whats mine. I will be armed when I confront anyone trying to steel from me. The reason these punks exist is because people let them.Cops can't be everywhere and we have to stand up for ourselves no matter what the outcome and the bad guys have to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Respectfully Bert, you are missing one very important point. If it's something "outside", like in the video, and not someone entering your house, then why risk your life?

You are correct that the police can't do much once the culprit is gone, but you should always make a report. By doing so they can possibly link the same person with several crimes in the same area and increase the charges, hoping for more jail time, especially if they already have a record...most do

I'm married with 2 kids. If someone was stealing my chainsaw and I ran out in the dark to approach them, I risk the chance of never seeing my family again, never being a Dad or Husband again over a tool...too me it's not worth it. Yeah, they might not have any kind of weapon, but that would be unknown to me, so I'd be rolling the dice.

I agree with your frustration over the time and money spent to buy that chainsaw, honestly I do (I didn't say that I would be happy about it).

I don't even know you Bert and I'd bet the farm that you have both family and friends that would hope that you'd not approach a thief in a situation like that. It could end poorly over a chainsaw??? Your life is worth more than that.

David
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

we have to stand up for ourselves no matter what the outcome and the bad guys have to know that.
    Exactly....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

To each their own. We're all adults here, and it's going to be very hard if not impossible to change another persons view, especially through a ww'ing forum.

For those who would take matters into their own hands, make sure you don't shoot yourself or a family member please.

That's also a good way to end up sitting behind bars. Not too many states are going to allow you to go after someone and shoot them. There are plenty of people in prison for doing just that. The case against you is that your life wasn't in danger when you were sitting in the house and by going outside, you put yourself into the situation, which is a far different legal place than someone coming after you inside your own home.

I'd rather outsmart them than end up sitting in a cell next to one of them. Just my opinion. However, enter my house and all bets are off.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

All gun owners aren't idiots, some of us are trained and actually know how to use them.If you aren't trained and don't know how to use them then stay away

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    To each their own. We're all adults here, and it's going to be very hard if not impossible to change another persons view, especially through a ww'ing forum.

For those who would take matters into their own hands, make sure you don't shoot yourself or a family member please.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It's not like we're going to run out guns blazing and yelling "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out"!

IMHO - it's more along the lines of, the J.S. Mill, "A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions
    of better men than himself."

J.S.Mill also said, "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."

(A similar quote is often attributed to Edmund Burke - but - no one can seem to find the source for that...)

Right, but If should see someone entering my property and trying to steal something, I think the sight of me approaching with a 12 gauge pump will make them think twice and run the other way. Like Rich said I'm not running out guns a blazing LOL How ever enter my home uninvited and its all over for you.

It's not like we're going to run out guns blazing and yelling "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out"!

IMHO - it's more along the lines of, the J.S. Mill, "A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions
    of better men than himself."

J.S.Mill also said, "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."

(A similar quote is often attributed to Edmund Burke - but - no one can seem to find the source for that...)
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander