Thread: Looking for durable (employee proof) coily air hose.

Looking for durable (employee proof) coily air hose.

We have a problem at work with our retractable air hoses breaking or being melted (then leaking) . The hoses are near an extruder that can get up to 600 degrees F. Plus they get kinked, run over and God knows what else.

I've looked at McMaster, but their high temp hoses are good to only 180 degrees F.

Does anyone know of a source for a very durable hose? Maybe with a braided metal housing? We go through these like cord wood on a January night in Minnesota.

I tried to attach a picture of what we use. The coils are about 4" diameter.

Thanks,

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 09-09-2015 at 6:19 PM. Reason: fixed missing letter in title

Wow thats hot. Theres really only 2 kinds. Poly and nylon. They both have working temps of under 200 degrees. Even teflon hoses only go to 260 but I've never seen coiled ones. If melting is the problem your only solution would be some kind of a heat shield you could slide over the hose. In order to coil like that the tubing needs to be pretty hard so theres the problem. If ya could get away with straight hose or maybe one on a reel then ya could find a better quality high temp hose. Or heres a thought. We used to use stuff like this on aircraft hydraulic lines. Ya just slide it ove the tubing then screw on the fittings. I guess it might work with the coiled hose: http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Pro.../dp/B002UPR1V4

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    You might be better off re-plumbing your airlines away from the heat source.

Valk, I like your avatar. I have the same one in my avatar folder.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Can't tolerate coiled hoses. I concede they might be useful in repetitive assembly line type work. They tangle so much. On one job that's all they had ,that's when I started bringing my own.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the urethane ones? I have one in a 3/8" size in my shop. Much easier to use and stretches farther than the nylon ones, likely more heat resistant, but certainly not to 600 degrees!
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 09-10-2015 at 8:27 AM.
    NOW you tell me...