Thread: Temporary Lumber Storage

Temporary Lumber Storage

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I had to clean up the garage and also figure out a way to store some lumber until I start building kitchen cabinets. For those that don;t know, I have a small basement shop so I am limited on storage space.

So here is what I have done. The first pic shows the lumber starting on the garage floor where I cut some scraps to keep it off the floor. I also used the HD standards and brackets. I would have prefered to have more on the brackets but ran out of space so more got stacked on the floor. The secod shot just shows some of the storage ideas I had to come up with to store crud. Finally, I store a few sheets of sheet goods along the wall by my truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

looks good

lumber takes up a lot of room, but it is nice to have a pile of it when you need it.

lou

Jeez, it looks like they don't make room to open the doors of your Caddilac there either... (or avalanche?)... When I was shopping for a house recently, I couldn't find a "real" 3 car garage that actually fits 3 cars...

So I guess you just have to get creative with lumber storage...
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

My Solution...

Car sits outside
    (and I have a triple garage)

I also suspect that the racks will not be temporary at all There will be another project after the kitchen wont there?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    Jeez, it looks like they don't make room to open the doors of your Caddilac there either... (or avalanche?)... When I was shopping for a house recently, I couldn't find a "real" 3 car garage that actually fits 3 cars...
    We found the same thing to be true several years back. We found that most garages were only about 20' deep, and barely wide enough to open your door. We were lucky enough to be able to go with a custom builder when we built our house. I oversized the garage. It's 24' deep by 34' wide, with three separate doors each 9'wide x 8' high. It's a good size without being so supersized that it would look funny on the house. OTOH, my wife was determined that the woodshop would not be in the garage, and it's not. I prefer this arrangement too. Now I get to park there too.

As long as I keep the plywood pushed to the back (or front) of the garage, I can open my door enough for me to get out of, but it is still failry tight. I agree, they are just making these garages too small these days and with the size of vehicles getting bigger. The good thing about my garage is that the ceiling is 12 feet, so I have plenty of overhead storage. I have a 4' deep storage shelf that runs the entire width over the garage door... of course it is loaded.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs