Thread: I Need Help Fast ! How to remove a pencil mark?

I Need Help Fast ! How to remove a pencil mark?

I just cut a frame out of Maple, and stupidly got one small pencil mark on the front. This is a gift and must be finished by tomorrow evening (Yeah I know....) and I don't have enough Maple left to replace the piece, nor any time to get to a lumber yard.

The graphite is not impressed into the wood, but it won't fully come off with the eraser. I tried MS, laquer thinner, and Xylene, but no love. Sanding would be a last-resort as the mark goes across some profiling.

Is there any surefire way to dissolve the graphite off?

depending on the eraser you tried, you may be able to find a very soft eraser, they're usually better at getting into small crevices and depressions so that may work better.... Not sure exactly what the project is, but just trying a rag with some warm water on it may work - maple shouldn't soak up much at all if you just lightly scuff the surface... or maybe even warm soapy water on a toothbrush (obviously the soap would need to leave no residue).

I haven't tried any of those things other than the soft eraser which works better than say, the harder ones that are on the end of the pencil... but it seemed like you were desperate so I'm just throwing some ideas out there. Good luck.

Funny, I never thought of soapy water. I'll try that first thing in the morning, thanks.

I've used denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) to remove pencil marks when a soft gum eraser hasn't been able to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin Ferrier View Post
    I've used denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) to remove pencil marks when a soft gum eraser hasn't been able to do the job.
    +1 That usually works for me too.

(BTW, welcome Franklin. Glad you've joined us!)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1 That usually works for me too.

(BTW, welcome Franklin. Glad you've joined us!)
    +1 on both. I never use the erasure that's on a common pencil. They make more mess than anything. Magic Rub is my go-to erasure in the shop. In the rare cases where that fails, DNA.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+2 for me. this has seldom failed for me
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Erasures on pencils seem to gum up & spread the graphite rather than remove it. I use a Pink Pearl erasure (~3/8" x 1" x 2 1/2") - seems to do a nice job. I keep two on hand: one for coarse erasing, the other for fine detail erasing.

As others have stated, I've had the best luck with a good eraser like the white ones from Staedtler. I have about 6 of them all around the shop.

Good tips above.

Matt Day wins the prize. I use my drafting eraser (KOH-I-NOOR 48) for those times.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

This is a complete guess, but how about a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    +1 on both. I never use the erasure that's on a common pencil. They make more mess than anything. Magic Rub is my go-to erasure in the shop. In the rare cases where that fails, DNA.
    +10 on this one. I keep one on my workbench. Good luck.

Red
    RED

Success!

DNA did the trick, I can't believe it. THANKS, Franklin !

I'm also gonna' get a Magic Rub toot sweet, for my next mistake. (Not that I ever really make any.... )

Now I'm thinking maybe also one could use those gum-sticks made for cleaning sandpaper rolls. Those are probably very similar to a soft eraser.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 09-10-2015 at 7:11 PM.

You need a white gum art eraser. I don't remember who told me that but that's what I use for pencil marks and it works. You can get them in any art store, very inexpensive.

I use pencil all the time, go get an artists eraser and just take it off. wipe with mineral spirits to make sure no residue is is left. Should not be a big del.