Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biesemeyer Fence Out of Square Vertically

Biesemeyer Fence Out of Square Vertically

Years ago (certainly more than 10) I bought a Biesemeyer fence system for the saw I was using at that time. I eventually upgraded to a SawStop and was able to purchase it without a fence (I don't think they will do that anymore). I moved the Biesemeyer fence to the SawStop.

So I've used the fence for many years.

On a project recently, I was cutting a small piece of ebony and noticed that it was thicker on one end than on the other. So I started working to find out why.

Here's my fence setup (kind of messy, I know). I have a square on the side of the fence.
    Biesemeyer01.jpg

Low and behold, the side of the fence is not square vertically. You can see daylight between the fence and the upper part of the square.
    Biesemeyer02.jpg

Then I checked the other side of the fence. I never use that side.
    Biesemeyer03.jpg

It's even worse, but it's in the opposite direction. So it appears that the fence was turned slightly when the fence was made. Through some trial and error, I found that if I put a 6" rule under one side of the "T" of the fence, the left side would be about square. But I can't keep slipping a rule under the "T" every time I use the fence - I need to find out why.

My first thought was that the plastic pads that the fence rides on might have worn more on one side. So I turned the fence over to examine them. You can see the two plastic pads on each end of the "T".
    Biesemeyer04.jpg

Continued on next post due to the limit on number of pictures in one post.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I used a caliper to measure the thickness of the plastic pad and the metal "T". I couldn't measure the plastic by itself. Here's one side (the right side).
    Biesemeyer05.jpg

It's a bit more than 1/64" less than 3/8". Now, the other side.
    Biesemeyer06.jpg

Exactly the same. If they wore, they wore the same.

So to fix the problem, I made a piece that I attached to the side of the fence with some clamps that LV had for sale. I cut the plywood at a slight angle, to offset the angle of the side of the Biesemeyer fence.
    Biesemeyer07.jpg

You can see that it's now square.
    Biesemeyer08.jpg

I imagine it was like that from new and I never noticed it until now. No sense in contacting Biesemeyer because Delta bought them some time back.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    Good to see you have found an easy solution. The sawstop fence is very similar to the Biesemeyer but one adjustable feature (among others) they have is that right above those plastic white pads there are two set screws that you can adjust the pads up/down, which will twist the fence left/right to make it square to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Mike,
    Good to see you have found an easy solution. The sawstop fence is very similar to the Biesemeyer but one adjustable feature (among others) they have is that right above those plastic white pads there are two set screws that you can adjust the pads up/down, which will twist the fence left/right to make it square to the table.
    Thanks for the information, Mreza. Just to be sure, I went and checked my fence again. There are two set screws that are used to align the fence with the blade (or the miter slot), but nothing to twist the fence to make it square vertically.

I'm just amazed that I never noticed this problem before.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-13-2015 at 4:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    You could shim the glide pad on the side that needs raised up with some UHMW tape. Or determine the height needed to bring it square to the table and carefully remove the glide pad and place a shim made of metal or Formica between the pad and the steel to raise up the low side. Glue the shim to the underside of the steel and put holes in it to match the tabs on the glide and you should be good to go.

When I installed my Beismeyer fence on my craftsman saw the rear glide on the fence didn't touch the table so I carefully removed it and drilled new holes where it would ride on the table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have an Exacta fence on the Jet saw that I bought some years ago. It has two 'levelers' on the 'T' section of the fence but they wouldn't fix a twist, nor a fence that was out of parallel from side to side.
    Lee's solutio sounds great. I had to shim the fence on my mortiser.

I did as Lee suggested when I had my unisaw,The Uhmw tape worked perfect.
    The plywood fence with all the metal clamps doesn't look very friendly.

I ordered some UHMW tape and I'll try that. You're right, Andrew, it would be better without those clamps.

Mike

Hey Mike, I had this issue once on an old Delta I had (with Biesemeyer fence) - turns out that the rails were the cause. Check to ensure that the rail has the same relief on both right and left sides of the saw (seems that the left may be sitting a little higher than the right).

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Hey Mike, I had this issue once on an old Delta I had (with Biesemeyer fence) - turns out that the rails were the cause. Check to ensure that the rail has the same relief on both right and left sides of the saw (seems that the left may be sitting a little higher than the right).
    Good idea, John. I'll check that. Hadn't thought of that. I had to drill holes to mount the rails on the SS. I remember measuring carefully but that was long ago.

Mike

Didn't a Biesemeyer fence come with a tool so you can set the rails to parallel with the table? If you bought it used you may not have gotten it. Delta bought biesemeyer in '93 if I remember right.

Peel the laminate off the face of fence, which will give you access to screws holding ply on. Loosed screws,and shim ply to make fence square to table. Use a straight edge and check down length of fence also. Tighten and check fence face. If all's good, reattach laminate. On my shop made Biese clone, I haven't fastened laminate yet. I've only been using it since 1996 .

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Peel the laminate off the face of fence, which will give you access to screws holding ply on. Loosed screws,and shim ply to make fence square to table. Use a straight edge and check down length of fence also. Tighten and check fence face. If all's good, reattach laminate. On my shop made Biese clone, I haven't fastened laminate yet. I've only been using it since 1996 .
    Thanks for the suggestion, Bruce. Before I go through all of that, I'm going to try the UHMW tape first. I only need the left side to be square and the tape solution is a lot less work. If that doesn't solve the problem I'll go your route. Thanks again.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Didn't a Biesemeyer fence come with a tool so you can set the rails to parallel with the table? If you bought it used you may not have gotten it. Delta bought biesemeyer in '93 if I remember right.
    The only setting on my fence is to make the fence parallel with the blade (or the miter slot). No adjustments for square to the table top.

Yeah, Delta bought them in the 90's - and with Delta's present reputation, there's no sense in even asking them about the issue. Plus the fence is too old to make any claims. I should have noticed the problem long ago.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I believe improved adjustability is what spawned the term "Better-than-Bies" for some of the clones including the Saw Stop. The perpendicular adjustment for the Beisemeyer Commercial fence from the manual is to adjust the plane of the front rail; the whole rail. The fence comes (or came) with a small hardwood template for setting the height of the rail referencing off the top of the saw table and wings. This assumes your top and wings are already aligned and on a common plane.

Figure 16 on page 7 here.

The saving grace is that once set, you never need to touch it again ;-) My saw that had a Beisemeyer on it went to my dad. I set it up for him years ago. I used it the other day and it still moves like silk and is still dialed in.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-13-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler