Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did you purchase your machine?

I've had four lasers and paid cash for each one. I'm not a fan of credit or owing money. As Dave said, you need a business if you want to make money. A laser is just another tool, not a magic wand. However, if you start out as a hobby, then develop your skills and technique, that hobby can turn into a business eventually.

That said, a laser is a wonderfully fun toy whether for work or play!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Agreed w/ points from Dan and Ross. In my case I do make sure to pay before promotion period is up and don't carry any credit card debt that is not at 0%.

I don't partake in any 0% credit card deals that charge a fee. If there is a fee Dan is right. Just purchase outright.

For my most recent purchase (yesterday) with Trotec they allow 25% down via credit card. I put this on a card with a 12month 0% promotional period on all purchases. The other 75% is put on a card which allows balance transfers with NO fee at 0% for 15 months. Tough to find, but they are out there from time to time. Since Trotec will only take 25% down via credit I had the credit card company issue a check from the credit card which essentially works like a balance transfer, but since this particular card has NO fee balance transfer I get a true 0%.
    Glenn Chua
    Morrisville, NC
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Trotec 80W Speedy 400
    CAMaster Stinger III

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Chua View Post
    I don't partake in any 0% credit card deals that charge a fee. If there is a fee Dan is right. Just purchase outright.
    For clarity, the fee I mention is from the laser company, not the CC company. I think on my last major purchase I got back 1% from the CC company, but that was overwhelmed by the 2%+ added to my bill by the product manufacturer for using a CC... they want checks, not CC, whenever possible, because of those fees. They're certainly not going to eat them (unless they can hide it in a heavily-inflated purchase price).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I paid 50% down with cash and got a five year bank loan at 2.2% interest for the balance. I am 39 months into a 60 month loan.

My payments are affordable and it has worked out well for my company.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total