Thread: Is this how Building Permits are issued these days????

Is this how Building Permits are issued these days????

Had to have a section of the roof repaired. They just put a 2nd layer of Architectural shingles over the section that needed reroofing. It's on the back portion of the house and you can't see it unless you were standing on the roof. It turned out perfect. They also did 2 patches on the Rubber flat roof.

Now ,it took over a week after the roof was done to get the building permit for the roof. Got the Certificate of Occupancy and so forth. What I don't understand is how the Building Inspector can issue the Building permit and the CO without inspecting the work after it was completed???

Is this common practice ???

They only want your money, you didn't actually expect them to do anything for it did you?

Blog Entries
    For a simple repair job, that is probably the normal process. Sometimes the building inspector just stops by for a minute or two. If he has consistently good experience with the contractor, they often do a pretty short inspection.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You applied for the permit after the work had already been completed, or did it just take your city building/planning department take that long (more than two weeks) to process everything?

I've had inspectors come in to view work completed and only perform a quick walk-through visual check while others will actually confirm measurements and materials used. Maybe the level of follow-up you get just depends on the type of work being completed and the nature of the permit. And, as Lee mentioned, it could be that the contractor you used already has a solid reputation with the inspector or building/planning department.

If you used a reputable roofer, the inspector may not need to come out. They trust that roofers work.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Blog Entries
    Would you have rather that he came out and did a picky inspection and required noncritical things to be fixed at your inconvenience?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Would you have rather that he came out and did a picky inspection and required noncritical things to be fixed at your inconvenience?
    Nope, perfectly happy to keep things JUST THE WAY THEY ARE !! LOL

Plumbing inspections for small things are the same way. If we put a water heater in due to it leaking, we just email in the permit and they deduct the money. In the future if there is a problem, they know who to look for. It's in my best interest to do it up to code.

When I started building houses in the '70s, they'd send me the permit in the mail. I'd call for an inspection, and he would come out some time in the next couple of weeks, saying not to wait on him to continue work. The inspector rarely looked at anything, and just wanted to talk for a while about other stuff. It's changed a lot since then.