Thread: white oak

white oak

Have a client who would like some shelving/cabinets made of white oak (maybe) to go with the white oak flooring they're putting in. Typically I build case work and shelving from veneer plywood with hardwood frames and trim. I can find white oak easily enough but white oak veneer plywood seems rare. Source or solution?

I get my plywood from johnsons lumber in Charlotte mi, they have white oak listed on their website.

I can get it at Woodwerks here in Columbus, OH. Even QSWO ply. Not inexpensive though. 3/4" @ ~ $140.

If you add your location to your profile, you might get some answers for your general area.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You should be able to find plywood with virtually all the common White oak faces (rift-sawn, plain-sawn, quarter-sawn). Many choose White oak on account of the flecking imparted by the medullary rays. So it is probably important to work with the client to determine what character they seek, and then devise a plan using milled wood and sheet-stock to meet that. Boulter Plywood (Boston area) shows stocking both rift and quarter-sawn sheet-goods. Condons (New York) stocks White oak in rift, plain and quarter-sawn.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 09-15-2015 at 8:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Welty View Post
    Have a client who would like some shelving/cabinets made of white oak (maybe) to go with the white oak flooring they're putting in. Typically I build case work and shelving from veneer plywood with hardwood frames and trim. I can find white oak easily enough but white oak veneer plywood seems rare. Source or solution?
    My local supplier has it in plain and quarter sawn veneer..........Rod.

It's an every day item at the warehouse. You should have no trouble finding it.

Red
    RED

We are at the tail end of doing an entire house in it, mostly rift saw but some flat sawn too. Definetly dont sell 1/4 sawn without approved stain samples, some people love Ray fleck, some hate it, best to clear that up in the beginning. Should not be hard to find from a professional plywood distributor, we are on our second lift!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Why not use plywood for the cabinets and face frame with solid oak?

Renneberg Hardwoods in MN, http://www.renneberghardwoods.com/do...%20CATALOG.pdf, also has in flat, rift and quarter sawn.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Welty View Post
    Scott, the Creek is international and all over the US. It would be helpful if you told folks where you are.