Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Sash Saw

Perhaps you could try an old handgun shooters trick. Put wood putty around the saw grip. Hold the saw with a comfortable grip angle and pressure as though you were going to make a cut. Squeeze to form the damp putty to the shape/form you feel comfortable with. Set it aside to dry. When dry try a cut to see if you have gotten the handle size/form you want.

Maybe a dumb question, but are you actually in Israel or the states? How soon would you need it? Just curious. You could also download the pattern and adjust the size of the grip area leaving the plate area the same. Just a thought. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    I bought a Gramercy Sash saw about 6 mouths back. it's beautiffuly made, however the handle is totally oversized for my hands. I find that my hand cannot get secure barely with 4 fingers in so I just don't use the saw....
    Matthew, I have just re-read your post.

You mean this saw (14" long) ..

You must have a small hand. Mine is 100mm (4") across the palm and I find the handle comfortable with three fingers.

My saw is rip filed and I think it is excellent. Well worth making up a new handle that suits your hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Matthew

Do not be deterred by the "need" for special drill bits. I do not have any. All you need is one - Forstner - that will enable you to recess the saw nut. You will be re-using all the existing hardware. Use the saw plate to position the holes, and then you do not need to drill the plate. That would otherwise be the only drill bit of significance - I have one in carbide for that task - and it can be bypassed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek said it all. You can start the slotted hole in the handle with a brace and bit. Most of us have 3/4" or 1" bits. A coping saw is used to finish the slot.

After you make one, the herd will grow. I make my handles 7/8" thick. Maple is a favorite wood for me, but walnut is nice as well. Don't overlook sapele either. I have a handle made of sapele that I think is gorgeous.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-17-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Derek and I are thinking alike. I just checked my Gramercy Sash saw handle too and it is one of the smaller backsaw handles in my collection. Maybe the OP is thinking about the Gramercy Dovetail saw? The Dovetail saw is the one that has the handle that some people find to be large? The handle on my Bontz Saw Works saw is probably the most comfortable handle in my entire saw collection, if you can get one of those, even roughed out OMG!
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 09-17-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, I am indeed talking about the SASH saw the Derek posted. I measured my hand today it ranges from 3.5-3.75 inches wide. so a little smaller than most? but not extreme. the handle feels very big. I wonder if they made more than one size of handle? doesn't seem likely. the LN handles are also larger than I need, but they are close enough that they feel secure. I am not trying to blame anyone here! just need to work it out.

Ron, not a dumb question. I actually live in Israel, but I have family in the US which is how I'm able to get all this stuff (-: now that I know what I know about saws, I wish I would have ordered a couple saws from a fine maker like yourself, comfort so important with these things.
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 09-17-2015 at 1:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mike Brady;2468085]I disagree about the comment that saw handles are "not hard to make". I think it is very tricky to get a slot centered and straight in a handle; and getting the concentric screw holes aligned without an expensive stepped bit and a very good drill press is tricky, at best. I would go so far as to say that if you are only going to build a saw or two, don't make them. Just buy a couple of good saws from someone who already knows how and put your money into quality and experience instead of one-use specialized tools. [/QUOT

+1.
    I really like shop made tools and have built many, including lots of backsaws. Of all the marking tools, planes, etc. I've built, saws are by far the hardest to do well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I disagree about the comment that saw handles are "not hard to make". I think it is very tricky to get a slot centered and straight in a handle; and getting the concentric screw holes aligned without an expensive stepped bit and a very good drill press is tricky, at best. I would go so far as to say that if you are only going to build a saw or two, don't make them. Just buy a couple of good saws from someone who already knows how and put your money into quality and experience instead of one-use specialized tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    +1.
    I really like shop made tools and have built many, including lots of backsaws. Of all the marking tools, planes, etc. I've built, saws are by far the hardest to do well.
    Yes, it takes a bit of work to get things all lined up and then there is still a little play. After awhile it all becomes experience.

Make a quick handle out of some inexpensive scrap. Make note of all the mistakes or things you want different, then repeat. Once you get to a handle you like, start laying it out on the wood for the permanent handle.

Here is a saw build of mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Back-Saw-Build

There is some detail on how to cut a slot for the blade that worked for me. There were a few errors on this saw, but it works fine. Mostly the errors were just cosmetic.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Matthew, PM me. I can help with a pattern you need.

I think I would make a new handle for the saw myself. Gramercy sells a kit for the saw with detailed instructions and a template on how to make the handle. It is not as difficult as it seams. You can adjust the size to fit. You don't need the kit, just the instructions.

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...-SKIT_INST.pdf

I built the Gramercy dovetail saw kit and found the instructions to be straightforward. By no means did it come out perfectly and would change several minor thinks if I were to do over, but I learned much and have a great, perfectly functional saw. The saw was my first real handsaw and would say that my skills were beginner-intermediate at the time. So I'll also suggest making a new handle using the kit instructions as well.

Best of luck!
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Matthew. Although the site doesnt mention there is a choice available on handle size, it does sounds as though your Gramercy Sash was made to xl specs.

Stewie;