Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool track saw plus dust extractor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys. The track saw will mainly be used to rip sheet goods before going on the table saw so it will mostly see 3/4" thick cuts. However, I do make table tops from time to time which are about 1.5" to 1.75" thick. If the TS55 will handle that then I may consider it.

As for dust extractor, It will live it's life in my shop and I don't plan to transport it anywhere. Which is why I'm not too concerned about the size. Attaching a dust deputy to the dust extractor sounds like a good idea and is also something I may consider. I just hate to get the TS55 and end up needing to make a cut thicker then 2" and not be able to.

If you cut table tops or even anything heavier than 4/4 in solid wood, then get the bigger saw. If you buy the 75 and regret it, you can always trade me for my 55 The 55 is well underpowered for full 2" cuts in solid wood, I end up making them in 2-3 sequential cuts.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I'm not so sure you guys are correct in saying all the Festool vans have same motor and suction??
    The CT26, 36, and 48 all provide 137 CFM of suction. The mini and the midi are slightly less, probably due to some internal restrctions because of their smaller size, and only run at 130CFM.

I've never considered the weight difference of the TS55 and TS75 and would have to agree that I would hate having to carry the extra weight ever time I use the TS75. I don't mind making 2 or 3 passes on thicker hardwoods as long as it will still give me a nice, clean, and straight cut. I think I'm sold on the TS55, now it's just figuring out if I want the CT26 or CT36. I do like the idea of mounting a dust deputy on the CT and think that's the route I'll take with either model dust extractor I get.

I would definitely add a dust deputy. It will greatly reduce the need to change bags in the vacuum or clean it's filter. I have not done either on my vacuum since adding the dust deputy (and I have emptied the 4.5 gallon bucket below the DD at least 4 times). I'm not sure about the Festool hose but my Bosch 5 Meter hose is apparently a copy of the Festool and it fits on the dust deputy inlet nicely. You'll also have to plumb the vacuum to the cyclone. I did that with 2 inch PVC using a heat gun to mold it as necessary. I might be a little more careful with a Festool vacuum but it shouldn't hurt it. Or you can always use hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I would definitely add a dust deputy. It will greatly reduce the need to change bags in the vacuum or clean it's filter. I have not done either on my vacuum since adding the dust deputy (and I have emptied the 4.5 gallon bucket below the DD at least 4 times). I'm not sure about the Festool hose but my Bosch 5 Meter hose is apparently a copy of the Festool and it fits on the dust deputy inlet nicely. You'll also have to plumb the vacuum to the cyclone. I did that with 2 inch PVC using a heat gun to mold it as necessary. I might be a little more careful with a Festool vacuum but it shouldn't hurt it. Or you can always use hose.
    I checked the Oneida website and their Ultimate dust deputy for the festool CT has all the hose and fittings so I shouldn't have to do any mods.

This may be stating the obvious but if you put the dust deputy on, it doesn't matter how big of a space in the vacuum you have for debris. There won't be any going there. It all will go to the container under the dust deputy. It isn't actually quite everything but for a practical matter, it is everything. Last time I looked in mine there was a long piece of spray foam insulation and almost nothing else. It will be years before I have to empty it. If debris capacity is why you are thinking of going bigger, I don't think that's really a factor with a cyclone attached. It just doesn't matter.

I should have just put this into one of my other comments but if you are worried about the TS55 in thick solid wood, I would get the ripping blade. I use the 55 tooth blade on everything in my DeWalt and it has been fine including an exterior door - 1 3/4 inches of softwood cut at a slight angle. But I know from my 15A table saw that a ripping blade makes a BIG difference. They make what are essentially ripping blades for track saws. If I wanted to cut up 1.5-2 inch hardwoods, I would at least think seriously about getting one. I suspect strongly that the TS55 would do fine with the right blade. It has a slightly lower amp motor than the DeWalt but I don't think that is nearly as important as the right blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    I've never considered the weight difference of the TS55 and TS75 and would have to agree that I would hate having to carry the extra weight ever time I use the TS75. I don't mind making 2 or 3 passes on thicker hardwoods as long as it will still give me a nice, clean, and straight cut. I think I'm sold on the TS55, now it's just figuring out if I want the CT26 or CT36. I do like the idea of mounting a dust deputy on the CT and think that's the route I'll take with either model dust extractor I get.

Hi Hoang,
    CT26 or CT36 should be fine depending on the space in your shop. They both work with the boom arm. The TS55 and CT26 were my first Festool tools few years ago and the ETS125 was the third one a month later and it's their sander and the CT26 that made me a "Festooladdict". I now have most of their tools. Good luck and hope you won't follow my path
    Mike

Get the ripping blade for ripping hardwood makes more difference the thicker the wood.

Bob

I went through this situation some time ago and bought the TS55 and CT26. I wanted to buy the bigger units back then, but decided against it. The CT26 has plenty of capacity for a hobby woodworker like myself. I haven't changed the dust bag in it since purchase. I recently cut 10 sheets of plywood and thought the TS55 was getting heavy toward the end. It reminded me of the Makita 5005 5.5" circular saw I once used. Only if Festool makes a TS35.

I recently built a table for the patio out of 10/4 SVG doug fir. After planing, the boards were ~ 1 7/8" thick. The TS55 had no problem cutting through these boards. No experience with using the TS55 on similarly thick, harder wood.

Best of luck with your decision.

I have the TS75 and much prefer it to the TS55. It is used on the rail exclusively so the weight is a non-issue - it goes from shop table to rail & back. When doing a large set of cabinets I can 3 3/4" sheets at the same time and it gets used for a number of solid wood cuts - tapers or cutting to a scribed line are so simple that they require no thought or effort.

If you will only cut single layer sheet goods then the 55 is fine but it is hard to predict how you will use a new type of tool before you own it.

as to festool vs other brands - lots of competitive tacks saws out there - the decider for me is the ability to use a router with micro adjust on a rail - things like dados, tapered sliding dovetails, shelf pins become a snap to do perfectly every time

30-Day Money Back Guarantee

Buy with confidence. If you are not completely satisfied, return your tool to the selling dealer within 30 days and you will receive a refund of either your purchase price or the lowest retail price at which the same item has been offered since your date of purchase. Freight charges are not refundable. For the purposes of this policy, a tool is defined as a product with a serial number.

Get the ts55 and make some test cuts and if you decide you need the ts75 return the 55.