Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pilot License

Pilot License

Does anyone here have a private pilot license? I'm thinking of getting one and then going for a commercial license. I'm curious as to what other's experience has been.

the greatest percentages of accidents are with small plans......mostly fatal.......wind, weather, and natures fury have a much greater effect on small planes.......I was a passenger in small plane when I was young, after being scared badly and getting back to school, have never flown in another small plane, I do fly commercial full size planes

good luck

I have had my private pilot's license since the mid-80s. Getting it was a great learning experience and I much prefer flying light aircraft to being packed like sardines into a big aluminum tube.

It can be dangerous but that danger can be managed. It's the same as working in the shop. A few moments of inattention or a couple of bad decisions can have a huge impact on the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    the greatest percentages of accidents are with small plans......mostly fatal.......wind, weather, and natures fury have a much greater effect on small planes.......I was a passenger in small plane when I was young, after being scared badly and getting back to school, have never flown in another small plane, I do fly commercial full size planes

good luck
    I witnessed a fatal single prop crash as a child, but I'm not really concerned.

Dave, I'm thinking of a career change at 47. I wouldn't be able to replace my current income, even as a captain for a major airline, but its been a lifelong dream to pilot an aircraft. I don't have any interest in being a major airline pilot (glorified bus driver). I'm more interested in the fractional jet pilot opportunities (low paying but offer a more relaxed lifestyle).

I got a private Pilot License back in the 1980's, just few regionally, never pursued instrument rating or commercial. The expense, liability and excitement threshold was a little more than I was cut out for, so I stopped flying after a few years. You will need deep pockets for this career. In my opinion, military training is the best way to pursue commercial aviation.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I got a private Pilot License back in the 1980's, just few regionally, never pursued instrument rating or commercial. The expense, liability and excitement threshold was a little more than I was cut out for, so I stopped flying after a few years. You will need deep pockets for this career. In my opinion, military training is the best way to pursue commercial aviation.
    Julian, when you say deep pockets, what do you mean? For instance, for a commercial license what would you anticipate the total costs to be?

Wow. As someone else said, I hope you have deep pockets, and I hope you're healthy--no cardiovascular issues, etc. I'm assuming you've looked at the requirements for certification.
    Ground school. Private pilot's license--VFR. Class III medical. Then Instrument Rating. Then Commercial License and Class II medical. I suppose you could get the Commercial license without the IFR, but what would be the point? The CL has a base requirement, last I looked, of 250 hours of flight time. So you're looking at a lot of time and a lot of money to get where you're going. Then, if you ultimately decide you need an Airline Transport Certificate, you'll need a Class I medical, thousands of hours of flight time, etc. phew.....
    I haven't done it myself but I have a good friend who has. He loves flying. With the time and money commitment, you'd have to LOVE it.

Alan, I don't see a Medical 1 being an issue, nor the 250 hours of flight time. No one has told me what "deep pockets" mean. I assume that its less than $100k. Flight time can be gathered through instructional training and as long as I break even, I don't think that is a huge obstacle.

As I said, my friend loves it. He doesn't even do it to make a living, he just loves to fly. So, as long as you know what you're getting into, I certainly wouldn't be the one to dissuade you. Good luck with the career change--sounds exciting.

Kent, it isn't cheap but if you've got 100K to put toward it, you should get a long way. 250 hours is not really very many hours so plan on several times that. You might investigate getting a CFI rating after you've got the commercial ticket so you can build hours. How do you intend to get the training? Are you going to go to the local aerodrome and get your training there? Or maybe go to one of the well known schools that train people to drive jets? Have you looked into those costs?

At 47 you're starting late and you need to figure it'll take you a few years to accumulate the hours and experience. You probably won't be getting paid to fly before you're 52. Take that into consideration.

If you want to learn to fly, go for it. You won't regret it. Just be realistic about where it'll lead.

Thanks Dave for the feedback. We have a 141 school where I'm at, but my thought is to go to a school that has access to the full range of licenses, such as http://flightsafetyacademy.com/ . Aviation is actually a thriving industry where I am. Timco, Fed Ex and Honda Jet being three of the larger employers in my region. I have no illusion that I'm ever going to earn in aviation what I earn now as a commercial banker ($300k +). Rather, I'm looking for a lifestyle change. I'm tired of putting in 70+ hours a week. I don't have any need or want to fly Commercial other than smaller, perhaps Gulfstream/Citation type of craft on a contract basis. If deep pockets means less than $100k, that is doable for me. We also have a plenty of charter flight companies near me. I'm looking for a more relaxed schedule. What got me to thinking about this is I have a customer that has a pilot for a King Air. He perhaps works 20 hours a month for $50k/year. I'd like a gig like that.

I just finished reading an excellent book, "Cockpit Confidential" http://www.amazon.com/Cockpit-Confid.../dp/1402280912 that dealt with a number of topics; the author explained his journey to the cockpit, how much pilots make, etc. in a very entertaining way.

I recommend you pick up a copy... it has a lot of information that will allow you to make an informed choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post

At 47 you're starting late and you need to figure it'll take you a few years to accumulate the hours and experience. You probably won't be getting paid to fly before you're 52. Take that into consideration.
    d.
    Also, check out the FAA mandatory retirement ages for certain commercial ratings. It used to be 60 (it may have been changed to 65 for certain conditions).

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Julian, when you say deep pockets, what do you mean? For instance, for a commercial license what would you anticipate the total costs to be?
    Kent, I've been out of the aviation circles for too many years to give good info on costs for a commercial license. I'm sure you can get that info from many other sources. You will be starting at ground zero and progressing up the ladder of many licenses and ratings before landing employment piloting business jets. This is not a quick year or two process to progress through the training needed to achieve your goal. Folks tend to think, well I only need 250 hours to attain the license but attaining the license only means you have met the bare minimum requirements. It doesn't mean you are a proficient pilot at that level. You need many of hours of flight experience above the minimum training levels to develop your proficiency. You need some "soiling your pants" situations as the only pilot in the plane to help develop your flight experience. You will not receive this experience with an instructor in the plane with you. My 14 year old daughter has met the requirements for a drivers permit but she is far from being a proficient driver and will need a few years to develop those skills in real world driving situations.
    All that being said, Go for it! I noticed in a later post you are a investment banker, so you probably have the time and resources to pursue your dream. I'll be rooting for you and hope to see a report back here in a few years that you have achieved you dream!
    Last edited by julian abram; 09-20-2015 at 5:11 PM.