Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench is finally completed!

Very nice bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McDermott View Post
    Very handsome tool there Clint. What is the rounded mortise at the top of the right leg for?
    Aapreciate the comment. The mortise allows me to raise up the bench dog that comes through the bench top onto the top of the right front leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Clint,

Beautiful job, very nice bench. Now you get to enjoy using it.

Stew
    Thanks. Have been looking forward to it. My old bench wasn't near as heavy and would move some in use, (built it from the Tage Frid plans in FWW.) I may have to put some non slip pads under it though seeing as how the one end sits atop laminate flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    Very sweet looking!!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for commenting.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That's a fine looking bench I like it!

Thanks, Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Very nice bench.
    Appriciate the comment, John

Clint

That's a bit of a classic Clint - a very nice example. It's amazing how standard the Roubo has become in a very few years, isn't it?

I am a bit taller than you, joint/plane on the bench, and also ended up with 39" high bench being a good fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Baxter View Post
    I purchased and used the Benchcrafted plans.

I made my bench 5" longer than the size listed on the blueprint, maximizing the length of the lumber I was able to source. The bench as built is 92" long. I also made it taller than the plan at 39", adding four inches of height, to accommodate my height (6' 5"). The front to back dimension follows the plan, which allows one to run the individual top sections through a 12" planer. (And in my case, I was able to joint the top as well on my A3-31.&#128512

I I forgot the height differential when I drilled the hole in the front right leg that allows you to push the first dog up. My oversized hole, however, makes it a bit easier to access the dog for raising.

The legs are made with doubled up 8/4 lumber ending up 3-1/2" thick. The plans have you make them 5-3/8" wide to compensate for the legs being less thick than the original Roubo. They're plenty stout, even with this slightly smaller size.

Clint

Beautifully done!! Nice work!
    Jerry

That bench is so beautiful I would be apprehensive about using it. But I'd love to admire it everyday!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Beautifully done!! Nice work!
    Appreciate the comments, Jerry.

Clint

Fantastic job there Clint
    I do things on a larger scale than most so please be understanding so I don't have to play my "Go Big Or Go Home" card.
    It's a Texas thing.

Really great job! I hope to take on a bench next year or maybe 2017. Love seeing the gorgeous benches on SMC!

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it when things look good, but appreciate it even more when they work well. It's great to have something that satisfies both equally well.

Clint

Looks great, Clint! The criss cross didn't exist when I built mine, but if I ever have to do this again I'd definitely use one. The leg vise is great but moving the pin can get old.

I also like the hole you made in the leg for accessing the dog. I need to get creative when I have to clamp a piece shorter than 6" or so because I don't have a dog there!

Here's hoping you don't experience any more flooding and can enjoy many long years of service from this bench.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Looks great, Clint! The criss cross didn't exist when I built mine, but if I ever have to do this again I'd definitely use one. The leg vise is great but moving the pin can get old.

I also like the hole you made in the leg for accessing the dog. I need to get creative when I have to clamp a piece shorter than 6" or so because I don't have a dog there!

Here's hoping you don't experience any more flooding and can enjoy many long years of service from this bench.

Mike
    The benchcrafted plans have you place that dog hole atop the right leg and then bore the hole in the leg to access the bottom of that dog. I placed my original hole too low in the leg and had to enlarge the hole. That, however, provided much better access than the original in the plans.

I'm hoping to avoid any future floods as well. But if I have to prepare for another, I plan on takin this bench with me. ��Particularly since it can be broken down, unlike my old bench

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    The criss cross didn't exist when I built mine, but if I ever have to do this again I'd definitely use one.
    Mike
    Check out the criss-cross retro. It's meant to be installed on an existing bench without needing to put the front leg in a drill press. Hard to put the leg in a drill-press once assembled--unless your drill press is very large, and you have strong friends.