Thread: Seated Turning?

Seated Turning?

I expect to buy a new lathe in the next few months. After spending a few hours turning this weekend--and with the understanding that I'm not getting any younger (I'm 60, but don't tell anyone)--I find my mind thinking about a lathe where I could turn while seated. I'm by no means at the point where this is mandatory, but my back and legs aren't what they once were and turning without those periodic go-sit-in the-chair breaks might be more productive.

I know there are those who turn while seated because they have no choice, but is there anyone here who does seated turning by choice? If so, what's your setup like, and what lathe do you use?

I had an opportunity to look at a Robust Independence lath last year, and now I wish I'd taken the opportunity to try turning on it when I had the chance. It's an intriguing design, though it looks like it has a few shortcomings (though I can't recall the details at the moment). Anyone here have an Independence or experience turning on one? Are there any other lathes specifically designed for seated turning (I'm not aware of any)?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I've considered a high swivel stool with good back support at my lathe, but it seems that body position is rather important and sitting would limit my movements. Maybe for doing small spindles like pens I wouldn't need as much range of motion, but for anything else I find myself constantly changing posture. I know there are handicapped turners who deal with limited mobility, and power to them. But for me it's become a habit to take a break and sit for a while. When the back hurts too much, it's time to take a nap.

Sux 2 get old.

someone in my club has a Oneway 2436 with custom-made legs that allow him to turn while seated.

The lathe is lowered, and also rotated "forward" toward the user.

A friend of mine has the Independence, and loves it. He got it like you, not necessarily out of necessity, but because his back and legs prefer to sit for most operations rather than stand long periods of time. I haven't tried turning on it, but i plan on it, just for the experience. I think Oneway also has a seated model, but if the prices are close, I'd really go for the Robust.

A friend is a wheelchair turner and we have talked about the issues. The OneWay rotates on its axis so that the ways are vertically parallel. This makes the use of assisted hollowing pretty much impossible as they rely on gravity. The robust raises and lowers which works better. My friend's solution is a jet with a rotating head mounted on a table rather than the factory legs. He turns bowls by rotating the head towards him once he has formed the tenon. He also mostly turns segmented work which limits the amount of hollowing needed.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I do most of my turning while seated on a drafting stool. I started with a Jet 1015 vs, and now have a Delta 46-460. Also, my projects tend to be on the small size. This style of stool has wheels which allow moving while turning, having one without wheels would not work too well. The height is also adjustable. I have to do this since I have difficulty standing for any length of time due to a spinal stenosis. After doing this for several years, I can say that it is quite possible, and I have turned both spindle and face plate projects with little problem. Just like anything, it does require a learning curve.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

you don't say what you will be turning, but i will address bowl turning..I do mine sitting down on a stool with easy running casters..I can move as if I am standing up..and use an old Nova 3000 with the head that swings out and the accessory unit for the banjo, etc. I have severe back & leg issues, and have happily used this system for over 30 yrs.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    you don't say what you will be turning, but i will address bowl turning..I do mine sitting down on a stool with easy running casters..I can move as if I am standing up..and use lan old Nova 3000 with the head that swings out and the accessory unit for the banjo, etc. I have severe back & leg issues, and have happily used this system for over 30 yrs.
    Michelle, let me know what casters you have. I've thought about a wheeled stool but can't imagine fighting with the shavings.

I'm wheelchair-bound and bought an Independence about 3 yrs ago: great piece of machinery and Brent is an irreplaceable source of knowledge. BTW, besides lowering quite low, it ALSO rotates forward if you prefer that approach, and is rock-solid in either mode. A wheelchair gives you no lateral movement, so I turn from a castered medical stool (shorter than drafting stools, otherwise the same). BIG ball casters work well cutting through the shavings, with BIG being the operative word, but 3"-4", shop tool wheels would also work well. The only obstacle (aside from my skills) is the splayed right leg, which protrudes quite a ways out. I have to push myself back to get around the leg then reposition myself on the other side of it; overall a minimal obstacle that matters little.

All the above relates to spindle turning. Now for faceplate, hollowing work. Moving the headstock way down the bed makes turning bowls and such really easy, then tilting the tailstock 90+degrees out of the way clears the way to sand and finish with no obstructions. The only abnormal issue is HOLLOWING from a stool (unless your neck is over a foot long - LOL). The problem is seeing the outside of your form as you get the walls thinner. I'm looking forward to acquiring a video hollowing system to overcome this; after that, it's just a matter of more practice. I hope this has been helpful to someone.
    Will Turn for Coffee

Michelle, I too am interested in how you turn from a stool. Would it be possible to post a picture?

My legs get really tired and my knees are so bad that when I shift my wt. from leg to leg my knees will sometime lock and that's painful. I usually sit on a stool while sanding and any other time I can.

Dave Fritz