Thread: Can you link me to a good outdoor box setup for outdoor outlets?

Can you link me to a good outdoor box setup for outdoor outlets?

Can you link me to a good outdoor box setup for outdoor outlets? I want to install some outdoor boxes on my poklebarn - thin metal walls. I can install 2Xs on the backside now as the walls are not up. Is there a box that seals better than others?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike,

Here you go, there are a lot of manufacturers out there, the generic term is "Bell Box", basically a cast aluminum box with threaded hubs and gasketed covers, rated for wet locations. The latest code calls for an "in-use" or Bubble Cover for outlets, which are basically a bubble that covers the cord and plug while it is plugged in.

https://www.hubbell-rtb.com/literatu...20lighting.pdf

Thank you Buck. I saw a video where they screwed in a NM connector on the back. Is it expected that is done and I have to make the hole in the wall large enough for that nm connector?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

That's one way, if you want to wire directly into it from behind. Make sure you apply a good sealant/caulking to the back side of the box before you screw it into place to keep water from entering your building or the back hole in the box.

Charley

I used "in use" covers on my house. They are water-proof while in-use (rain resistant in actual fact, but who's counting). Handy feature if important to your intended use, and better than the cheap, foam-gasket, flip-covers in my experience.

They stick at times and won't take a hit from the kids on a mower, but still...if you just gotta get the holiday lights on the barn winking and blinking...

Lots of supply options; search "weather-proof receptacle".
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 09-24-2015 at 8:44 PM. Reason: rain resistant

Instead of an NM connector on the backside of the box going through your building steel, I would back the steel where you plan to place the box with a 2x4 like you said. Then, drill a hole through the steel/2x4 big enough for 1/2 PVC conduit with a 1/2 threaded connector on the box side. This will thread into the box. Inside the building have the PVC land in a 4 sq with your NM coming in. This supports the outside box, keeps the NM in the building..