Thread: Looking for a 24" drum sander

Looking for a 24" drum sander

I've been looking for a 24" drum sander for a while now. Grizzly's is $1700. Others are more. I wouldn't mind a used one if it is in good condition. I've checked Craigslist, eBay, AuctionZip.com, local sales incessantly for months. Found one that was advertised as "new" in the auction listing. Drove 75 miles one way to find a 10-year-old rusting, abused machine. I was sick just looking at it. Would have lasted someone a lifetime with a minimum of care. Also found one on eBay... but the drive on that is at least 7 hours one way.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to find a decent machine for less than retail? I don't know about you... but I HATE paying retail. I'm ready to give up, though... I need the machine.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

Not sure how far you are from Pittsburgh but there is a 24 inch Grizzly dual drum sander on the Pittsburgh craigslist for $600 which looks like it's in fairly good condition…
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I think I sold my 36" woodmaster for less than $1000, but that was almost ten years ago.

I sold my first widebelt for slightly less than what I paid for it, which blew me away. I bought it used when the market was flush with used equipment in 08'. That was a sadly under powered 37". I think that went away for $4500.

I have machines on my wishlist that I keep an eye out for but I have never expected them to be immediately available. There are good deals out there but patients is the key! If you are in a rush you should probably expect to pay a premium.

I took a cabinet making class at the local community college 20 years ago. I fell in love with the horizontal boring machine for how quick and easy it made all dowel joints. I looked pretty hard for 10 years before a Davis and Wells came up locally for $150. When I went to look at it the slide bearings were busted. It had obviously been dropped at some point in its life. I bought it anyway only to be horrified that new slide bearings were $180! After a little researching I found that the slide bearings were the same exact bearings that were extremely popular in skate board wheels. I picked up a complete set of $40 and they were MUCH better quality than what the bearing company quoted me (Skate boarders are MUCH!!!! bigger bearing snobs than woodworking machine restorers!).

Lesson = If you want a deal be prepared to wait and check craigs list very frequently and be ready to pounce when that great deal comes along. Any hesitation and someone else will beat you to it. Research and know what you are looking for so you recognize the deal when it comes along.

If you need it now be prepared to pay a premium for it.

Last weekend a Powermatic 20" variable speed drill press came up on Craigs list last Friday for $150!!!!!! Iwaited until 8:00am on Saturday morning to call. It was already gone. :-( I didn't really need a 4th drill press but it was a Powermatic 20" heavy duty variable speed drill press for $150!!!!
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 09-21-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Tom; I've had a 22/44 oscillating drum sander for 6 years.
    The oscillating feature is terrific ... I even run raised panel doors thru it.
    I wouldn't want to be without it.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was wondering if there were any other places people post items... like some "dark internet" woodworking sites.

I'll check out the one near Pittsburg. It'll be close to 3 hours one way, but at the right price... so who knows? THANKS!

Are there any competitors to Grizzly that make a similar unit (in the same PRICE RANGE) to the 24" sander? Haven't seen much in my searches. I'm finding myself making quite a few panels for desks, cutting boards, endgrain cutting boards, bookcase panels, etc. lately. Nothing wider than 24" so I don't want to invest in anything bigger unless I get a REAL deal.

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by Tom Hammond; 09-23-2015 at 2:50 PM.

I went through the same senerio as you looking for a drum Sander. I looked for 2+ years and finally found a 2004 25" wood master and picked it up for $1,000.00. It looked brand new and works like a charm. If you have time you will find one but it might take a while. Once you have a drum Sander you will wonder how you lived with out one.

Good luck on your search.

Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    I went through the same senerio as you looking for a drum Sander. I looked for 2+ years and finally found a 2004 25" wood master and picked it up for $1,000.00. It looked brand new and works like a charm. If you have time you will find one but it might take a while. Once you have a drum Sander you will wonder how you lived with out one. Good luck on your search. Bill
    Sounds just like my experience! The Woodmaster is a super machine. Sure felt lucky when one came up on Craigslist.
    Last edited by Bill ThompsonNM; 09-24-2015 at 11:00 AM.

I found a 25" Woodmaster single drum on Craigs list 3 years ago. Kind of beat up and needed a pully, new hook and loop and sand paper for drive rolls.
    It was worth it though.
    I know of a 16/32 for sale locally, if interested I'll see if still available.
    Good Luck,