Thread: Workbench Dimensions

Workbench Dimensions

I have finally begun my workbench, after allowing the wood to acclimatize in my shop for about 20 months now (due to many work trips and other distractions). I purchased a salvaged laminated beam that was 18 feet long by 6 3/4" by 14 3/4". I cut it in half and have it on sawhorses in the shop, and have begun planing the surfaces to expose the grain so I can see what I really have.

My Benchcrafted hardware has also been acclimatizing (languishing) in my shop. I am adapting the Benchcrafted plans for a split-top Roubo.

Chris Schwarz, in one of his books, discusses workbench sizing. Regarding width, he recommends not less than 20 inches due to stability issues, and says that a bench too wide can be a problem because tools can roll out of reach; he recommends 24", if I remember. I have a hard time believing that being 6'4", he can only reach across a 24" top.

I'm a bit shorter at 6'1", but my arms are long. Can someone explain why a wide-topped bench is a bad idea? I need to trim to remove some damage, but I would like to do it only once. I would hate to go to the effort of trimming this beast of a top only to find out that I needed that surface.

Any other discussion on length and width is welcome. I have tentatively settled on 34" for the total height.

Thanks,
    Brent
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the answer to the width question is a function of anticipated bench location in the shop and how much of a foot print in the shop one is willing to devote to the bench. In my case, I knew the bench was going to be placed against a wall and I would only work it from the front and the ends, and I wanted to be able to use the wall space above the bench for storage. Thus 24" in width was a good fit for me. 30" would have made it difficult to reach the back wall. If I had the space in my shop to devote an 8' x 30" foot print to a bench that I could work from both sides, I would not hesitate to make it that wide. Schwarz argues for less than 24" with the idea being that he can fit many partially assembled cabinet carcasses over the bench overhang if needed (or drawer assemblies, etc.). With a split top, I imagine you could do the same and have lots of work holding options. If you have space for a roughly 30" wide bench, I don't think you will regret the extra width.

Blog Entries
    When building a bench for your own use, don't be guided by someone else's compromise to suite their body size, shop layout or other limits.

One thing that might be useable in your situation is a bench with the back beam as a vise jaw. Then the slot in the middle would be somewhat adjustable and could also be used as a long clamp.

If the tops are to be fixed/non-movable, a tool tray with a removable bottom might be just the thing to keep tools from rolling away.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Brent I agree with what Jim says. A bench is a personal thing. For years I worked on a 5' W x 22" D bench. I always wanted more. Because of back problems I purchased an adjustable bench 6' x 30" top. I have two face vises on one end an two face vises on the face on the opposite end, in other words right and left handed on each side. I could not be happier for me. If you can access both sides there are a great many advantages to a wider bench. The bench must fit you and your work style not anyone else. Good luck with your build.
    Jim

I have a split top roubo based on the BC design and think it's great, though will likely glue the top together at some point. I'm 6'0" and would be happy to have it wider than it's 24". I wouldn't hesitate to go with up to a bit over 30". wide benches mean tools might roll out of reach but it also means they don't roll onto the floor As others said, the major potential disadvantage to a wide bench would be if it is against the wall and you could then not reach tools frequently used that were stored above the bench.

Can you set up your beams on sawhorses and work with for a bit to get a feel for whether ~29" will be too wide?

Looking forward to watching the build.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the feedback. Jim, the idea of being able to use the top as a giant clamp has me excited and thinking - that's something I had not considered. Joe, Jim, James, Christopher - thank you.

I agree with comments above and just wanted to add my own thoughts. I just finished my bench with the top surface ending up at 24" x 92". I'd have loved to have a bigger top but kept the two halves of the top small enough to run through my planer. You don't have those considerations so keeping it larger makes sense. The reach issue makes no sense to me. Even if a tool were to roll away from me, I'd still rather have a wider top for the times I wanted, or needed, the additional space. I also have longer arms than the norm, and at 6' 5", means I have a lot of reach.

One advantage to the smaller top sections would be a portability issue. The smaller sections would be somewhat easier to move when disassembled, an issue I know I will have to deal with in the not too distant future.

As as long as you have the room, make it as big as you want. If for some reason you decide later that it is too big, it could be repurposed to a smaller size. Not so easy to increase it.

Just my 2¢

Clint

I have to agree with the comments above. My current bench build is a 24" x 6' top. It's that dimension for no other reason than it is the largest practical size for my work space. Given a larger work space, it would have been at least 8' and probably in the 30" range, particularly because it's not against a wall.

I just finished a roubo, after reading Chris's book, and went even narrower (about 22"). My understanding of his comments on width are quite different than how everyone above is reading it (making me think I got it wrong)...

My understanding of a narrower argument is it helps keep the bench clear of clutter. I replaced a bench about 30" wide with this new one, and know the back half or third of my original bench was constantly cluttered with stacks of other stuff... With this narrower bench, I don't have the room to pile stuff up and still work, which gives me a lot more flexibility when it comes to actually working at the bench.

I guess I'm additionally liking how much more accessible the wall hanging storage is over the bench! and it's entirely possible I went too far with the narrow pursuit, but I can always laminate on another few inches if it comes to it.

Blog Entries
    I certainly share Andrew's sentiment with regard to wide benches.

I built my bench wide because I use it for assembly, as jointers bench and a joinery bench. I will, in the next few months to possibly early next year, spend some time building heavy sawhorses that can be used in conjunction with a heavy plank(s) as an assembly bench.

The wide bench creates annoying issues such as movement issues and can be a pain to reach over.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-22-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm still early in building a Roubo (mostly the DIY hardware), and haven't yet committed to a final width.

It seems to me though that the issue is less about being able to reach to the back of a bench wider than 24in than being able to make any very effective use of the extra space.

As in we may be able to reach that far, but we're unlikely to be able to use tools back there. Which probably means that the area will as Andrew become a storage/junk area. Perhaps there are certain sorts of work that need the space for assembly or whatever, or to prevent our work getting marked by scraping against the back wall? (a board on the wall at the right height may be useful)

The exception may arise when our shop layout permits access from both sides. In which case it could become a different matter entirely. More width might then be the means of having the space available to multi task...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-22-2015 at 12:38 PM.

I have not started my bench but at this time I plan on an 8' L x 30" W top.

It will be located against a wall with three windows above it, facing south.
    Good light and no concerns about using the wall for storage.

I am 6'1" ish. Used to be 6'2" but think I am shrinking.