Thread: Woodturning Workshop - Tim Yoder

Woodturning Workshop - Tim Yoder

Anyone know what lathe Tim Yoder uses on his show?

Robust American Beauty

It depends on the season. The original shows (PBS) were shot using his Stubby. Newer shows are shot using his Robust (which now sponsors the show).
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

What network is he on?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stanton View Post
    What network is he on?
    PBS, but typically on one of the digital "sub" channels rather than the main PBS station in your area - the schedule is available here, just select your local PBS station and cable provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stanton View Post
    What network is he on?
    His new shows are not on PBS. They are now produced by Popular Woodworking. You can find them on their YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/popularwoodworking/videos A few weeks after they go up on Popular Woodworking's channel, Tim posts them on his: https://www.youtube.com/user/woodturningwithtim1/videos Occasionally, Popular Woodworking does not immediately post the video to its public YouTube channel (they want you to go to their website for the link) right away. When that happens, it might be a month or so before it shows up on the public channel. His most recent video shows him making a pen using a laser-cut inlay kit. It's episode 11 in his second season on Popular Woodworking.

HTH.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Seems my cable provider doesn't have any episodes available. Comcast / Infinity in CT. Their web site does have knowledge of the show (got a picture of Tim), just nothing scheduled. Does this show run year round?

Never heard of him but checked out his videos from the link above. Should be some cool watching and learning.

Red
    RED

I used to enjoy watching his shows on my lunch break, but it hasn't been on any channel I get in probably a year. Is it not on cable anymore?

Reruns of his original PBS show are currently appearing on PBS-Create, tomorrow's episode is on metal spinning (the show where things didn't go well)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

The show is on PBS (cable or broadcast) in re-run only. Whether it is on in your area depends on whether your local station decided to pick it up. Tim works (worked?) at a PBS station in Oklahoma. The station produced a couple of seasons of his shows and then did not renew the show. As discussed above, the new shows produced by Popular Woodworking are all on Youtube. The PBS produced shows are not. (But, you can get the complete series on VHS if you'll just contribute 39 cents a day to Channel X! If you'll agree to contribute just 25 cents more a day, Tim will personally sign each of your VHS tapes....)

For those of you who have never seen one of Tim's shows, you're in for a treat. He has a wonderful sense of humor and his shows are fun to watch. Most of the shows are project based. He shows you how he makes something, but he doesn't spend a lot of time teaching turning technique. Experienced turners will note other ways, perhaps better ways, of getting something done. So, as long as you aren't looking for a post-doctoral dissertation of turning methods, the show's well worth your time.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I think Tim's great appeal is that he picks projects that a lot of us can and like to turn and shows one way to get it done without a lot of fuss. I met him at Pittsburgh AAW and he's just a friendly in person as he is on show. Great asset to woodturning I think, and make it all seem easy and accessible. Some of us get intimidated by the great artists in the field (I do anyway), and there is nothing intimidating about Tim. I mean that it in the best sense of the word. Those of you that are near southern Wisconsin can see him turning live in person at the Robust Tools open house this Saturday (Oct. 3)