Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glu-bot...How in the WORLD...

Glu-bot...How in the WORLD...

How do you get the top off???
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

It unscrews.

There must be more to this story.

Come on, Harold - tell us the story ..........

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    It unscrews.
    grrr...

I like my little glu-bot, I really do. Until the time comes to add glue to it. Then begins the war between it and I (with my ever increasingly arthritic hands)and unscrewing the top.

It seems to get just enough glue on it to make it not want to open. After running it under hot water it EVENTUALLY comes off, but .

Not much of a story. Just a pain in the...well...hands.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Start with a hammer

With most glue bottles I've filled it helps to use a little ensmackitation....hmmm..."gently" tap around the threaded lid with a dead blow hammer keeping the kneck of the bottle on a solid surface like a work bench....aka "smash it". Feels good, let out a little agression, breaks the bond between glue, plastic bottle and lid.

if that doesn't work I get out the channel locks and give it a good twist, but that always leaves sharp plastic which makes it harder to turn next time. So never my first choice.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I don't have a glu bot but I have used slip-joint pliers on bottles before. I wonder if a couple of loops of Teflon tape would help keep the lid from sticking

John

Apply some Teflon tape plumber's tape dope to the threads before you re-attach the top.
    Howie.........

I am guessing that a lot of other readers don't have any idea what a Glu-Bot is either so here is a link I found. Thanks, Google.

I might have to try one.

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Glu-Bo.../dp/B0006IUW8G

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am guessing that a lot of other readers don't have any idea what a Glu-Bot is either so here is a link I found. Thanks, Google.

I might have to try one.

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Glu-Bo.../dp/B0006IUW8G
    I bought the small one a few months ago and like it a lot.

I bet Howard's suggestion of Teflon tape would work great. Thanks Howard, I'm going to use that the next time I have to fill the bottle.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a little pipe wrench. The way a pipe wrench works (don't tighten too much when adjusting) it cams and snugs as you turn it. Seems like over kill but actually turns glue bottle lids cleanly without crushing or destroying. I also keep a few glue bottles and caps washed up and ready so I can pour glue and keep going - don't want to fight a glue bottle in the middle of a glue up.

Yes, Harold, old hands that hurt and just don't do what they used to - the orthopedist told me to stop using my hands as a hammer.
    Last edited by John Gornall; 09-26-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Are the glue bots really that much better than a small glue bottle? I always buy the gallon size, but refill a 16oz size as needed. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stein View Post
    Are the glue bots really that much better than a small glue bottle? I always buy the gallon size, but refill a 16oz size as needed. Am I missing something?
    No, I don't think you are, Michael. It really depends on what you're working on. I bought mine for string inlay, where I need to press very thin/small strips into a groove that's maybe 1/32" wide and 1/8" deep. So the very fine nozzle that comes with the small 'bot works pretty well. I also use syringes for this.

For "normal" glue ups, I don't need the 'bot and in fact it's slower because even the wide tip is smaller than a normal titebond nozzle.