Thread: Rant: Rattle can clogging

Rant: Rattle can clogging

I wish that some paint manufacturer would come out with a rattle can that won't clog up or quit spraying with half a can of paint left in it. I can't tell you how many half empty (or half full) cans I've thrown away because they wouldn't spray. I even turn them upside down and spray a little air just to clear the nozzle but that deoesn't seem to help. I've tried them all, Krylon, Rustoleum, Valspar, etc. and they're all the same.

Sorry for the rant but I had to get that off my chest.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Pop the nozzle off and clean it with a dental pic and some solvent (acetone seems to work on a lot of paints).

Or - save your nozzles from empty cans for use in these situations
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Maybe you aren't having a clogging problem. You might just be having a "pick-up" problem. There's is usually a dot on the upper rim of the can near the nozzle that indicates where end of the pick up tube is on the side of the can at the bottom. Point the spray nozzle towards that dot if spraying downwards or level. Point nozzle opposite if you spraying up.

HI Joe. Perhaps there's something different about your scenario, specific paint (maybe some contain more suspended solids than others) or manufacturer, but i seem to find that it's possible most of the time over multiple uses/more than a year with e.g. acrylic colours or zinc sprays to avoid problems by shaking really thoroughly (genuinely for at least the specified time - making sure that the ball contacts all parts of and especially the bottom of the can) - and by as you say inverting it and spraying until it blows air to clear the nozzle after use. Making sure the can is at a comfortable room temperature may help a bit too - most paints thicken at lower temperatures.

The risk with the first is that it's possible for the pick up to pull in a clump of unmixed pigment or whatever if the can is sprayed too soon. This if it happens tends to be terminal. It does seem to happen occasionally even with the most careful mixing imaginable, but it's pretty rare.

Residual paint on the outside of the nozzle will occasionally dry and cause a bit of an issue, but will usually scrape off. Washing in solvent (cellulose thinners) may be required at a push, or try it with a nozzle saved from a used can….

There is a YouTube video about using a tubeless tire valve to pressurize rattle cans. The rubber end that would normally be inside the rim fits over the small tube and seals, then you can use your air compressor to pump the can back up to about 90 to 100 psi. When I spray jobs that require one or two cans I use only one of the nozzles and save the second new one for another day. Over time I have saved a couple dozen nozzles of various styles that have never been used.

If you use a lot of rattle cans it might be worth purchasing a refillable spray can. I have one but I don't use it to spray paint, instead I fill the can about one quarter full with paint thinner and use it to clean nozzles but I rarely have to do this when I have new replacements in my tool box.

I also store all of my rattle cans horizontally in plastic racks and shake them for one to two minutes before spraying.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-26-2015 at 12:27 PM.

After turning it upside down and clearing the nozzle I pull mine off and throw them in a glass baby food jar half filled with paint thinner. They almost all spray again. Almost...

You can also buy new nozzles of various type on eBay. I do this especially for spray adhesive like 3m 77.

I spray shellac and Minwax polyurethane and do not seem to have a problem. Maybe, it is a certain brand or type that causes more problems.

I no longer struggle with this problem. I now use Rustolium rattle cans that claim to spray in any position. Inverting the can will not clear the spray nozzle so they have a nozzle that does not clog.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have found the new Rustoleum spray can nozzles to be quite good. Better atomizing, and none have clogged (yet).
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I bought the new can format once...and it leaked all over my hand...oy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys for all your comments/suggestions. Maybe I'll try the "new" Rustoleum and some of your other suggestions.

Hope all of you have a great week.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I recently attended a workshop titled Improve your Finishing with Aerosol cans. The short is there is a specific way Mohawk, Watco, Zinnser and others want you to to shake the can. No up and down with the arm but hold top with fingers and use your wrist to agitate the can in circles. The rattle is actually a small glass marble. the tube in all spray cans is curved to allow pickup of the material (paint, finish or solvent) when the levels are low. The cans have one "sweet spot" mentioned above where the tube is positioned just right. Some cans are marked most aren't. Why we turn the nozzle and it starts working again. Temp. the can should be room temp or around 78 degrees for best results. A coffee cup warmer is recommended if it's cold to start. Spray a with a robot arm as much as possible, no wrist or arcing.

Just a few things I learned that weekend.