Thread: Hidden fastener ideas?

Hidden fastener ideas?

I just got a job installing some modern paneling on a wall in a real estate office. The wall is about 8 feet long and 7 feet tall, the paneling will be 3/4 white oak random width boards installed horizontally. My suggestion was to use stainless screws with a washer head, there will be othere metal accents so I thought this might add to the look. They don't want to see the fasteners. I could nail and fill with colored wax but I'm thinking a more elegant approach is in order. Any ideas? Thanks Joe.

With the boards be installed flush on the wall? Will there be gaps between or tight seams?

If tight seams and flush to the wall, how about making it like tongue and groove flooring and nailing in the grooves?
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 10-30-2015 at 2:37 PM.

Maybe slightly recessed Z clips top and bottom?
    ~Garth

Horizontally will be easier because you will not have to put up furring strips but IMHO vertically would look much better. Vertically will give the room a look of more height and you say it is only a 7" ceiling, horizontally will give the illusion of a lower ceiling.

As far as how to nail I vote for Dave's thought.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Construction adhesive ?

Yes, flush to wall no gaps. I was also thinking t&g but was hoping to avoid the extra work involved. I'm a bit lazy sometimes

Make a panel with the random width boards and hang with a metal French cleat?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Splines? A bit easier than T&G.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

As opposed to attaching the boards to each other, attaching each board to the studs, as Dave suggests, would mitigate problems from wood movement.

A lap joint might be easier than t&g both to make and to install. Just mill a good size lap and screw each board to studs.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Blog Entries
    Use ship lap boards and you can hide all the nails except for the starter strip and finish piece.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lap joints would be quicker but if the lap on top isn't nailed or screwed, there's nothing to prevent it from warping away from the wall. Might good for a rustic look, though.