Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shooting plane

I have not built a shooting board with track for my Lee Valley shooting plane. Even without a track I sometimes use this, but most often I use a 5-1/2 Stanley and often my LN 62, honestly sometimes it comes down to whatever is close and sharp. I am still debating the value of a track on a shooting board, but this is based solely on how I taught myself to shoot.

Pedro

I have the LV shooting plane. It is hefty and great for hard wood. I use it on the shooting board I built. It has a slight ramp. Works very well as it is. A LV LAJ works well too. I just use it for soft to medium woods

#6 fore plane.

I mostly use the #5 (K5) I bought from you specifically for shooting. The size and mass are a nice combination for shooting thinner stock and pine. For larger and harder wood, I sometimes use my #6 for the extra mass.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

+1 for the LN #62 low-angle jack (with the "hot dog" attachment).
    David B. Morris

"Holz ist heilig."

Blog Entries
    +1 on the LN "hot dog."

It is easy to make one for any other plane. There is one made for my Stanley/Bailey bench planes when something with a little more width than an LA Jack is needed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I used to shoot with either a #6 or a #7. Last year I treated myself to the LV-Veritas left handed shooting plane. Sweet.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Veritas shooting plane and track. Undecided about mitering - especially picture frame moldings.

The Veritas looks quite functional, but I dislike the styling, which actually matters to me. The thing looks like a giant penis.

Someday I hope to own the LN.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    The Veritas looks quite functional, but I dislike the styling, which actually matters to me. The thing looks like a giant penis.

Someday I hope to own the LN.
    Well, that went sideways quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Well, that went sideways quick.
    I was being serious !

As a hobbyist, the way my tools look & feel is important. The LV shooter looks a bit ridiculous to me, as do their newest block planes.

To each his own, I guess.

One main advantage of the LV shooting plane is that the iron reregisters perfectly where it was, when you put it back in after sharpening, and the adjuster works flawlessly. I'm not fond of the plane looks either, but that matters little to me, since I'm getting paid to get work done. Also, for the woods I work daily, O1 is my first choice for cutter steel.

Tom,
    I'm glad you've specifically called out the registration element to the LV shooting plane, as I hadn't really caught that detail on the web. I have to admit, I'm in the camp that likes the looks of the LN better than the LV, though it sounds like you think there is a clear design advantage to the LV.

Little things like this really highlight the value of forums like this, thank you!

The particular advantage of the registration return on a shooting plane is that you won't dig into your board readjusting it after putting the iron back in. Snap it back in and go back to work. If you took enough off sharpening to matter, the adjustment forward is still dead on.

Tom, might I ask what stock you use that you feel O1 is a better fit? I am contemplating getting the plane but I'm not sure what blade would be best. I know that O1 can take a keener edge but I'm not sure if the pmv-11's abrasion resistance would be more advantageous.