Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shooting plane

shooting plane

I was at the WIA show last week end and I saw a lot of shooting boards and planes. I noticed the #6 plane size was mostly used. What size do most of you use?
    Tom

I use a Veritas Low Angle Smoother. But I demoed their dedicated shooting plane earlier this month and it was significantly easier. Wish I had the money.

I use the LN 51. Lot's of weight. Quite easy to use. Real pricey, though.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 09-28-2015 at 8:16 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Veritas LA Jack - but only because it's the biggest plane I have with square sides with an angle good for end grain cutting.

I'd LOVE more mass and a more ergonomic handle.

Blog Entries
    #7 bevel down.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Tom

I like my wooden Jack. Low friction, comfortable to hold and the shape gives it a really planted feel.

Wooden-Jack-Shooting.jpg

LN 51. Some of the best money I've spent on tools. Like most things in life there are many ways to do something but almost without fail a single purpose tool will make the job easier.

ken

Blog Entries
    My main shooter is an LN #62, LA Jack.

Before that a #6 bench plane or a #65 block plane.

The #6 works great at shooting. With an old shoulder injury, a low angle plane helps to prevent bringing on the pain.

A little extra mass helps with shooting.

The LA planes also tend to leave a cleaner edge on end grain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I mostly use my HNT Gordon try plane. I like something long, and the handle can be inserted so it sticks "up" while shooting, which is nice.

I do wish it had taller sides, though, for more bottom registration when shooting. I like Tom's idea above. maybe someday I'll try to re-purpose one of my unused woodies. (Not that I have a huge collection of unused planes, or anything! Oh no, not ME. )

I'd also love to have a skewed blade. And a bevel up design. Well, some day .....
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 09-28-2015 at 11:18 PM.

LV shooting plane for me. One that works in a track is really easy to use. It's the only new plane I own out of a couple of hundred. It not only works great, but is the best bargain out there for a shooting plane.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    LN 51. Some of the best money I've spent on tools. Like most things in life there are many ways to do something but almost without fail a single purpose tool will make the job easier.

ken
    Must be sweet to use that thing !

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Must be sweet to use that thing !
    Allan,

It is. A tool that works is a thing of beauty.

ken

I usually use a LN low angle jack. Sometimes I use a #7. It depends what I am working on and what is out on the bench.

I use the plane that has its sides square to the base. My only one fitting in this category happens to be a #8. bigger than most would want, but works fine. I kind of like the extra weight.

LN #62 LA Jack.
    I also use a Tablesaw Tom finessed 605 1 /2