Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry... MM16 vs LT16HD

Sorry... MM16 vs LT16HD

Sorry to post this question again, I can't make a decision! I am looking for a bandsaw, and have narrowed it to these two. I was in orange county on an overnight this last week and was able to walk to the Laguna showroom. I was able to see the LT16HD and Lt18 Italian in person, and was very impressed. I haven't had the chance to see a MM16 in person, but from what I've read and seen online it seems pretty good. Anyone here in SLC and have one I could come see, or know of someplace that has one? Part of me feels it's crazy to spend this much on a bandsaw, I'll use 10% of it most of the time. I've been using my fathers Rikon 18" for a few years, and just want something a little nicer, although it does everything I've asked it to... I can't make a decision!

Steve, I have never regretted spending money on a machine.

I have regretted not spending enough..................Regards, Rod.

Only machines I ever regretted spending money on are Grizzly. My MM16 has worked very well for ten years now and has cut anything I threw at it including 15" thick african blackwood. Only thing I don't like about it is the fence (who designs a fence that relies on one bolt to secure it?) and I wish it had a T miter bar slot in lieu of the milled slot.

That's what I'm worried about, I'm worried if I get a cheaper saw that I'll wish I'd gotten the bigger. I bought a 3HP sawstop this year, and now wish I'd gotten a 5 Hp machine. Woodcraft has a Laguna sale right now with 10% off. They don't cary the LT16HD since only Laguna sells it, but the LT18 Italian is available through woodcraft for about the same price as the other two...The 18 is taller than I'd like, and would be very close to my ceiling height as I'm in a basement shop with an 82" ceiling height. Decisions, Decisions!

Contact your MM sales representative...they can often point you at local owners who willingly do "show and tell". I do that a few times a year here in my area for prospective customers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The two 16 models are comparable, if they were the same price I'd likely get MM. If a Laguna 18" is the same as the MM16 I'd get the 18". Both machines are excellent bandsaws (top in their league) but I highly doubt you regret going with a bigger vs smaller!

You say Woodcraft carries the LT18 Italian but not the 16HD? Are you sure you're not confusing the LT18 with the LT18HD?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Merriam View Post
    You say Woodcraft carries the LT18 Italian but not the 16HD? Are you sure you're not confusing the LT18 with the LT18HD?
    I think he's definitely talking about the LT18HD.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/848...d-bandsaw.aspx

I've decided to pull the trigger on the MM16. They have a special now with the mobility kit for $2995. I'd be looking at probably another $700 for any of the other two when it's all said and done. Can't wait to get the machine!

Steve, if you want to get that 5hp sawstop feel free to bring the 3HP one to Texas and ill buy it off ya.

BTW I have had good experience with grizzly. Lower price doesn't mean lower quality. They make some great tools. My motto is grade a tool quality by the model#, not by the Brand Name.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

ok, My turn to gloat... Check out what just showed up in my garage.... Now to get it to the basement woodshop!MM16.jpg

Nice!! I strapped mine to two 4-wheel furniture dollies and pushed it down a plywood path with three people

I have a brother in law who moves piano"s for a living so I'll definitely have some help! What are people's thoughts on the euro guides vs the carters? Mine definitely has the euro guides, thought they shipped with carters... Sticker on the back says date of manufacture 2015 so it's not old stock....

Lol I was the opposite, was hoping to get euros and got carter instead. I have no other large bandsaw experience, so take this for what it's worth, but I do NOT like the carters. They are a super pain to adjust. There is so much slack in the locking mechanisms, you think you have them where you want, you tighten the locking screw, and everything moves on you. Adjusting the lower guide thrust bearing is a minor risk to your skin with the saw blade so near. There is a tiny allen bolt sticking out the bottom, which you can't see unless you stick your head down there, and breaking it loose with an allen wrench frequently throws your hand near the blade. I was hoping for tool-less adjustment. Instead, I have magnets holding 5 tools to the side of my case: 2 allen wrenches, 2 T-shanked allen wrenches for ease of use when space permits, and one angled flat tip screwdriver to break loose the lock on the upper guide blocks (the blade guard prevents a straight shot with a normal screwdriver). I have replaced two of the allen bolts with plastic knobs, so that was nice, but still, hate these guides. In fact, I ordered some Laguna ceramic guides last week. The fit is not plug-and-play on them so currently working with Laguna support (very helpful so far!) to come up with a working solution.

I just saw this thread, and would have offered input on the LT16HD, which I own, but you have already made the purchase. Congrats on your new lathe, it will serve you well!