Thread: Powermatic made in Italy?

Powermatic made in Italy?

I just picked up a nice power feeder at auction from a cabinet shop. It is in great condition, but there is something that puzzles me. It has the colors and nameplate for Powermatic, but the main nameplate is riveted over an original one that says "made in Italy". It has a 1/2 HP Baldor motor, 1 PH. I've looked carefully and the paint is original and perfect on all pieces. I mean, it shows wear, but it definitely hasn't been repainted. The model # say 8V3 which doesn't respond to any searches. Anyone ever hear about this? Thanks.

I'd imagine it's an old Steff feeder. Powermatic imported and re-badged several Euro brands, notably SAC & Robland, in the Houdaille days.

I believe Delta once re-badged Steff feeders as well.

Powermatic had some stuff made by SCMI, as I once saw a Powermatic sliding TS with SCMI on it. My 2 cents......
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I'd imagine it's an old Steff feeder. Powermatic imported and re-badged several Euro brands, notably SAC & Robland, in the Houdaille days.

I believe Delta once re-badged Steff feeders as well.
    It did, in fact, show Houdaille as the source on the nameplate. So this must be an older unit? It is in fantastic shape i.e. it doesn't look that old. How would I go about finding paperwork? Probably need to grind off the rivets to get to the Italian name. I did look at internet pics and it looks extremely similar to the Steff.

Houdaille owned powermatic for a while, like 20 years, and most of there more industrial stuff was Italian origin. Feeders, shapers, jointers, panel saws, etc. I've used the feeders, jointers, and several of the shapers, all pretty good stuff. You think of powermatic as this venerable old USA machine manufacturer, but they have basically had foreign owners since the 60's. Enjoy that feeder, built to last several lifetimes.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel