Thread: Panel thickness problem

Panel thickness problem

About gluing a thin panel to a more stable substrate. I have a walnut panel, a 9" widened with one extra board, to
    14". I started with a 9" board, resawed it, glued a 1/4" resawn board to it and then flattened it, but now have panels that are #1-a little less
    than 1/4 and #2-a little more than a 1/4. Not the best resaw I've ever done, but I'm still learning.
    ?1---Is that thick enough to put in a frame and panel door (13 1/2 w x 25 1/2 Long panel size)? I have other wood I can use to make new panels, just thought I was good enough to resaw this board that had such great figure in it.
    ?s2---can I glue these panels to a 1/4-1/2" walnut panel or ply or mdf and not have them crack? Use contact cement or something else other than TB to reduce moisture? Should I then plane the walnut top down so it was thinner, more like veneer?
    Or should I just start over. I hate to lose these two as they are book matched with great crotch figure. I have 3 more 7/8" boards I was planning on resawing, and am now pretty gun shy. I'm pretty sure my feed rate was to fast, especially at the end of the board. Thanks for looking.

1. If you use them as-is, you get a panel that's less than a quarter thick. That's less than I'd want.

2. If you glue them as their current thickness to plywood, they will likely try to bulge in and out over the seasonal movement. They might crack. Not good.

I'd keep going with the pair. Resaw some more lumber. Laminate it to the back. Make the completed panel as thick as you want.

I think I'm going with your suggestion. I can plane the laminated panel thinner on the face, and hope it takes some of the movement out of it.

Gluing 1/4" to plywood will warp bad. Don't do this. If you have more solids, I'd resaw material for the back of the door panel, glue your 1/4" plus or minus figured stock to some 1/4" regular stock face to face, then joint the edges and maybe flatten at that point too, glue these two edge to edge to make your width, and if you want a flat panel run a back cut on the panel. 1/4" solid panels are inherently weak, I don't like them for doors that get heavy use, they crack easily.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel