Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a router?

Yes Ryan tearout is almost impossible to prevent with hand planing.
    We discussed a contest here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ing-in-Contest

As it turns out the "pro hand tool guy" and his best handplane efforts left some tearout on the finished product,so maybe the judges missed that?

So don't get discouraged. There's a reason why most commercial shops use power tools.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

If you are needing some dados to capture dividers in a cabinet, a simple "Tee" square router guide made with the exact bit used (ply dado bit at 23/32" diam) to cut the dados with is easy top make and effective. One tip - It is better to not blow through the exit end of the dado with the router bit at the end of the run, as it will splinter the cabinet at the exit point. That is one place where a short run (perhaps an inch or so) of "backwards" or climb cutting routing is required. Hold on tight and go slow. Practice ahead of time. That Tee square guide will always work with that router and bit combo from then on.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Ryan View Post
    Rabbets on the edges and dados for shelves, I forgot they're called rabbets.

I'm building a cabinet for vinyl records and I want vertical dividers, so I want grooves that will capture the dividers.

I usually build plywood cabinets with pocket screws and I've always wanted to be able to rabbet in the back and dado in shelves.
    Understanding what you are building helps. I always make dados and rabbets with a saw... usually my radial arm saw.

The disadvantage of a router is that one side of the rabbet will be cut by the router bit in the direction of travel of the router. The other side will be cut by the router bit in the opposite direction. One of the sides will have a lot more tear out than the other. A saw with a dado blade would not have this problem.

You can minimize the tear out on the dado's by scoring the edges of the dados with a knife before cutting the dados and by proper selection of the router bit. Like I said I don't cut my dados with a router so I am not sure on the bit selection. My hunch would be a down cut spiral bit?

I will open the question up the the forum... Which style router bit will give the least amount of tear out when cutting dados? Straight? Up Cut? Down Cut? Other?

You are correct, dadoed slots for the dividers will be a much nicer construction method for what you are building. Do you own a table saw?

You're asking the question of people who own, on average, more than one router. I have 4. So you know what answer you are going to get. This would be a good choice:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSP.../dp/B00005RHPD

I have two PC 690s with 4 bases (two fixed, one plunge, one D-handle) plus a couple more decent routers and two crummy ones.

If your wood is in big pieces, it's easier to move the router over the board. If your boards are relatively small, it's better to move the board past the router bit. In the case of the latter, you need a router table. That can be as simple as a hole in a sink cutout (or piece of melamine particle board) and a piece of 2X material with a partial hole for the bit and clamps to hold it to the sink cutout in the right position. Screw the fixed base to the board and support it and you are ready to cut. I have one router table setup in an extension table of my table saw and another router table. If you want to move the router over the board, you need a way to hold it to a workbench and a guide. There are lots of ways to do the guide. My favorite has two parallel pieces of plywood edged with hard maple that are set to slightly wider than the plywood (maybe one business card wider) and then you route the groove with a top bearing straight bit. You don't need a bit the same width as the plywood, you want one narrower. You just make a couple passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    the Bosch uses odd sized bushings - you need to use Bosch bushings or buy and adaptor to use Porter Cable (the "standard") size bushings.
    Rich,

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm trying to figure out what makes the Bosch bushing sizes are odd. I compared Bosch's outer diameters to that of Porter-Cable's guide kit. Of the 7 P-C bushing sizes I see that Bosch has matching sizes. Two of the P-C bushing sizes (3/8" & 51/64") don't have Bosch counterparts. Are those two sizes important for templates?

Also, just to mention it ... my reconditioned Bosch 1617EVS router combo kit (both fixed and plunge bases) actually came with the RA1126 quick release attachment. So I would just have to buy the bushing inserts (guides) themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post

The disadvantage of a router is that one side of the rabbet will be cut by the router bit in the direction of travel of the router. The other side will be cut by the router bit in the opposite direction. One of the sides will have a lot more tear out than the other. A saw with a dado blade would not have this problem.
    True, and this is why I recommended getting a track system. Again, with a router on a track, you can go in either direction safely, so you can choose direction based on the best finish, not safety.

Also, the track sled makes it easy to dial-in the exact edges & start-stop point. (The Eurekazone does, at least.)
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 10-01-2015 at 6:44 PM.

I'm trying to figure out what makes the Bosch bushing sizes are odd
    Ken, They (Bosch) don't accept Porter Cable screw in bushings. A lot of routers use the Porter Cable bushings. Bosch doesn't. You have to use Bosch guide bushings or buy an adapter that allows you to use PC bushings.

I will open the question up the the forum... Which style router bit will give the least amount of tear out when cutting dados? Straight? Up Cut? Down Cut? Other?
    Mike - Upcut spiral & self centering jig. The jig allows you to use a 1/2" bit and route both sides seperate to give glass smooth 100% straight cuts with dead square bottoms (no "bat ears" like a dado blade)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Update

I routed practice grooves and it was easy thanks to all the advice.

image.jpg

I bought the bosch router 1617 with the plunge attachment included, quick change template guide, template guide set, Freud plywood bits, one down cut bit, and a Freud multi rabbet kit.
    The only injuries I sustained happened while trying to get the Freud bits out of their package.

I have one more question about the multi rabbet kit. the instructions are so small and lacking in detail I can't tell which way I'm supposed to put the washers onto the bit to support the bearing.
    does anyone have experience with this bit set and have the answer?

Thanks again to everyone who helped me get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Ryan View Post
    I want to cut grooves in 1/2" plywood, and I'm getting terrible results using hand tools.

i don't have a table saw*, but I've got a circular saw, and I was thinking of trying that to cut grooves.
    Or should i forget the circular saw and take the bus to the Borg and buy a Bosch 2.3 hp router and a spiral bit?

if I buy a router to get these grooves cut, I'd like to be able to use the router for dados in 3/4" plywood.

Also can I use a plunge router for these jobs, or do grooves and dados require a router table?

*a table saw with a dado stack purchase is way out on the horizon for a few more years.
    No. You don't NEED a router to do that. Routers are great to have but you can do dadoes with a circular saw and chisel, and in some cases you don't even need the chisel: http://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/skillsaw_dado.html
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Charles - try that with a 23.5" deep cabinet carcass.
    It gets real unfun real fast.
    Even with my Festool TS55EQ track saw it was a pain.
    The router OTOH - is/was so much easier and faster.

I only used the track saw to see if it would do it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

You need a router, it will open up your wood working immensely concerning plywood, really hard to work plywood with hand planes, its just not meant for that. The bosch is a great unit. You don't need a plunge router for through dados and grooves, but its handy for other things, so if I were to own just one router it would be a plunge router, but fixed base generally have a lower handle position/center of gravity, so I find them easier to control for grooves. Do practice on scraps as suggested, keep both hands on the wheel, if the router gets the idea for in a second that you are not firmly in control the little gremlin inside will take over and make a left turn, which can get expensive and dangerous. Remember, few things happen in a single pass with a router...small bites, sharp bits. And get a book by Pat, or take a class on routers, its amazing what some people get out of them with a bit of ingenuity.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

You don't need a router.... you need several! I have two bosch 2 hp and two porter cable one 2 hp and then a smaller one that's always set up with a round over bit. the other 3 serve between the dovetail setup, router table, and other misc, but it's so nice to leave them setup instead of changing bits all the time.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Rich Engelhardt;2474347]Ken, They (Bosch) don't accept Porter Cable screw in bushings. A lot of routers use the Porter Cable bushings. Bosch doesn't. You have to use Bosch guide bushings or buy an adapter that allows you to use PC bushings.

I have the Bosch router with a Pat Warner base on it. It takes PC bushings.

I suggest you get a small router to start with and experiment with it. A soft start router and small bits are easier to learn with.

I do have soft start 2 hp routers, but I'm afraid of 3HP large routers with large bits. I can't imagine using a 3HP hand tool free hand or even with guide bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Do yourself a favor and forget about using a router with and edge guide & a bit that comes close to the thickness of the plywood to cut dados.
    Same pretty much goes to using a stacked dado blade unless it's a Dial-a-Width type.
    The odd sized thickness of the plywood will drive you nuts and leave you with loose sloppy joints and wacky out of square projects.
    Actually, they make bits that are the size of plywood. I use them all the time and the ply fits like a glove. They are straight bits and mine came in a set for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 (the actual sizes of modern ply)

From Mike "I will open the question up the the forum... Which style router bit will give the least amount of tear out when cutting dados? Straight? Up Cut? Down Cut? Other?"

I use cheap straight bits from Woodcraft, I think their Woodriver, the green ones. I buy them when they are on sale. I have rabbeted, and dadoed, a lot of ply with good results.

Evan, the Bosch 1617 is my favorite router and I have owned/used most that are available in the US. I would urge you to consider using dust collection because it greatly reduces clean up time, makes it easier to see what you are routing and keeps your lungs healthy. The quick change adapter lets you swap out guide bushings with the dust collection accessory installed and without having to remove the bit or change your depth settings. Newer models by Bosch require a centering cone to accurately center the sub base plate; this can also be used for centering your router on a mounting plate.
    009.jpg
    Mike