Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have personal experience with Grizzly 5.5" chuck?

Does anyone have personal experience with Grizzly 5.5" chuck?

I am getting ready to receive the G0766, and wonder if the package deal from Grizzly for their 5.5" diameter chuck is a good unit to get. Looks as though it has everything needed to get rolling for most applications; just wondering if there's any reviews regarding quality out there.

Link here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-5-...uck-Set/T10811

I'd be surprised if you get a reply from a end user. Seems like every time that I've checked the Grizzly website the chuck is "Not available for immediate delivery". This chuck was in the 2014 catalog with a 1 1/4 X 8 thread option and the website indicated "not available for immediate delivery".
    Earlier this year I set an email to customer service asking if there were plans to offer the 1 1/4 thread option on that chuck. The reply was something to the effect that is only available in 1 X 8 thread.
    You might ask Grizzly if they have ever shipped the chuck.
    If this chuck is similar to the Vicmark copy that Grizzly has marketed for several years, the thread insert is not user changeable.

Grizzly CSR has offered the adapter that converts the 1"-8 threads to my spindle's 1-1/4"-8 threads:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-...Adapter/T25649

I also noted to Abby at Grizzly the webpage shows the clutch is not available for immediate shipment, but have not heard back whether it will be available if I place an adder to lathe order, to get them shipped together.

I really question if you would be happy with using an adapter with that size chuck. Consider that the adapter will add 1 3/4 " or so to the overhang of the spindle.
    I purchased a higher priced adapter and it had an unacceptable amount of runout and the intent was to use a 3 1/2" chuck from my MIDI lathe.

good point, I wonder if the 1" could be retapped to 1.25"?
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 06-19-2015 at 2:56 PM.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    I really question if you would be happy with using an adapter with that size chuck. Consider that the adapter will add 1 3/4 " or so to the overhang of the spindle.
    I purchased a higher priced adapter and it had an unacceptable amount of runout and the intent was to use a 3 1/2" chuck from my MIDI lathe.
    Joe, I don't have any experience with Grizzly products as we don't get them here in Oz but much of the run out problems with chucks & adapters/inserts comes from registration problems, but some issues are the result of poor machining & poor quality control. Unfortunately the images on Grizzly's website don't show the rear of the chuck. The registration surfaces/mechanisms are vastly different between Nova, Vicmarc & Oneway chucks for example and each has its short comings or benefits. It pays to check and clean the spindle nose & insert threads and the registration surfaces each time you mount the chuck. At $219 US I can see why their chuck package looks so attractive.

One other tip on chucks - check what steel grade they are machined from or plating type as that can influence performance / resistance to rust etc with wet turning.

7. Mark.......in my opinion, the best value in a quality chuck on the market is the Hurricane HTC-125......a large chuck, very similar in design to the vicmarc. I have 4 Supernova 2's and one original supernova from teknatool. Since then I have gotten one HTC-100 and one HTC-125, and I use them more than the Supernovas now...........the price is very good!

www.thewoodturningstore.com
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks, Roger. Yeah, I've been looking at those Hurricane brand chucks, and they get great reviews. The Grizzly kit has so many jaw sets, and the Cole Jaws, that it's a great package for me, because I only have a Nova G3, which is pretty small for such a large lathe. Grizzly should offer their chucks with direct thread options for all of the different lathe sizes that they sell, you'd think. At least that big one. I know they're probably made by the same company that make Hurricane if they're all coming from China (maybe?).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Mark.......in my opinion, the best value in a quality chuck on the market is the Hurricane HTC-125......a large chuck, very similar in design to the vicmarc. I have 4 Supernova 2's and one original supernova from teknatool. Since then I have gotten one HTC-100 and one HTC-125, and I use them more than the Supernovas now...........the price is very good!

www.thewoodturningstore.com

Mark,

I've had a Hurricane HTC-125 for almost 2 years. I am happy with it. The jaws are reasonably priced also.

How do you spell "Buyer's Remorse"? - I got my 5.5" diameter chuck kit (2 months earlier than expected), and although I don't have the lathe to test it on yet (told them to hold until Aug. 13), I think it is too sloppy to keep. It does not open and close smoothly, and although there's a literal ton of jaws, I don't think the chuck is worth keeping. I've already added the Hurricane HTC-125 to my cart on Amazon, and will probably get a RTA # from Grizzly to send it back. What thinks the crowd?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Not sure what you mean by "sloppy" but all of my chucks feel loose until tightened.
    My Nova Titan, and my PSI chucks were stiff opening and closing but got better over time. I think it's the nature of the beast. Never bothered me and figured as long as they do the job they are supposed to do all was good.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "sloppy" but all of my chucks feel loose until tightened.
    My Nova Titan, and my PSI chucks were stiff opening and closing but got better over time. I think it's the nature of the beast. Never bothered me and figured as long as they do the job they are supposed to do all was good.
    Maybe I will wait for a week or 2 and see how it performs on the new G0766. Dang, that thingis heavy!! I was use to the Teknatool Nova G3; I can't hold that monster in one hand.

I think you'll be quite pleased with the Hurricane HTC125.

I suggest talking with Grizzly tech support about that Grizzly chuck. I've never examined one, myself. Maybe light lubrication will solve the problem, maybe not. Also, when you use the wrench to adjust jaw width, are you tightening sequentially from each wrench point? There will always be a small amount of gear lash in even the best self-centering woodworking chucks, which is why it's good practice to tighten sequentially. And some roughness can resolve with break-in. But it can also mean poor machining, and that's sure not something I would want to put up with, considering how reasonably priced the Hurricanes are.

14. I'll put in a good word for the Bulldog BD550 (5.5") chuck: http://www.chucksplus.com/bulldog_scroll_chucks.php

I've got one and it seems to hold everything that I've thrown at it. All Vicmarc 120/150 jaws are compatible with this chuck.

I think it's too loose of machining. If you shake it it rattles a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    I think you'll be quite pleased with the Hurricane HTC125.

I suggest talking with Grizzly tech support about that Grizzly chuck. I've never examined one, myself. Maybe light lubrication will solve the problem, maybe not. Also, when you use the wrench to adjust jaw width, are you tightening sequentially from each wrench point? There will always be a small amount of gear lash in even the best self-centering woodworking chucks, which is why it's good practice to tighten sequentially. And some roughness can resolve with break-in. But it can also mean poor machining, and that's sure not something I would want to put up with, considering how reasonably priced the Hurricanes are.