Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiller with copper heat exchanger - OK?

Chiller with copper heat exchanger - OK?

Can anyone come up with a reason that a copper heat exchanger wouldn't be suitable for a laser chiller? I know the aquarium chillers have titanium heat exchangers to tolerate salt water, and I believe the CW series use aluminum.. But I've never heard of one with copper.

What do you guys think?
    LCJingKe 400mm x 600mm 50W, CorelLaser X6

Copper has much less of a tolerance for halogens (chlorine). I don't know enough about engravers to know what kind of water is recommended in the exchanger system. I guess it all depends on any other metal in the system (galvanic corrosion).

One of the issues with the CW5000 is the dissimilar metals problem between the coil and the entry tube, one is aluminium the other stainless steel, add de-ionised water and it causes gas leaks . Down side is there is no refill valve for that model so it's usually game over when the gas leaks

I use chlorinated water in mine as a coolant so copper as Clark said would be a non starter
    You did what !

most cities add chlorine to their water systems and most people have copper water lines in their homes so where is the problem

City supplies don't run the same concentrations as you would use in a laser ever looked at the inside of a copper water pipe
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    One of the issues with the CW5000 is the dissimilar metals problem between the coil and the entry tube, one is aluminium the other stainless steel, add de-ionised water and it causes gas leaks . Down side is there is no refill valve for that model so it's usually game over when the gas leaks

I use chlorinated water in mine as a coolant so copper as Clark said would be a non starter
    Do those metals have to touch in the CW-5000?

In a recirculating water system, the metals do not need to be touching for galvanic corrosion to occur.

City supplies don't run the same concentrations as you would use in a laser ever looked at the inside of a copper water pipe
    Why would you need more than the cities supply both keep the algae from forming. and yes I have seen cooper pipes that have had chlorine run through them. It would take more years than the unit could run to do any damage

Why would you need more than the cities supply both keep the algae from forming.
    The biological reasoning behind it I have no understanding of but even when using tap water in a chiller the algae forms within 2 weeks and totally clogs the system within 6 over here. Hence the reason I add Chlorine crystals to my chillers
    You did what !

Are the coils of the CW-5000 copper?

stainless steel but joined to aluminium
    You did what !

The biological reasoning behind it I have no understanding of but even when using tap water in a chiller the algae forms within 2 weeks and totally clogs the system within 6 over here. Hence the reason I add Chlorine crystals to my chillers
    Hi Dave,

You may try propylene glycol, aka RV or non toxic antifreeze. It is antimicrobial and antifungal above about 20% concentration.

Just be sure to clean out those chlorine crystals (pool stuff?) before you add it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Grant View Post
    Hi Dave,

You may try propylene glycol, aka RV or non toxic antifreeze. It is antimicrobial and antifungal above about 20% concentration.

Just be sure to clean out those chlorine crystals (pool stuff?) before you add it.
    Cheers Matt, only problem would be that it would be conductive

I'm good for temp as the factory is humidity and temperature controlled it's just the algae
    You did what !

FWIW I filled my cooler with distilled water when I got it, same water is still in it, never seen a bubble or a hint of algae.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Same thing here Kev. Distilled water from the git go and no sign of algae after 6 mos. i do use black hose and fittings so there is little light for any algae. I also do the same thing with the water cooler for the CNC. Also no issues there with algae.

Dave! Take your algae and harvest it! Dry it in sheets and sell to foodies as Nori! Locally sourced and gluten free! Likely its Vegan too! <Grin>