Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum chuck: Do you use it?

Vacuum chuck: Do you use it?

I've been thinking about getting a vacuum chuck. If you have one: I'm curious how much you use it ... or is it just something you've bought and it is too big a hassle to use it regularly. I turn several hundred bowls a year and it looks like it would be a blessing ... but, like fishing lures that catch fishermen instead of fish, I don't want to get caught up in spending money for something I won't use. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

I don't use mine a lot but when I do it's because nothing else will work.

I use mine both here and in VA on a regular basis. I have other devices, but find that vacuums tend to be more reliable.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Love my Vacuum!

I love my vacuum chuck and wouldn't (couldn't) make a bowl without it. I use it to turn off the bottom, sand, and finish my bowls. In some situations they make great jam chucks too. I even find it useful for some of my spindle turnings projects. I don't own a set of Cole jaws and haven't missed them until recently. I had an end-grain bowl whose bottom had bulged out so I needed to cut a hole and put in a plug and then re-turn that so I borrowed a set. The Cole jaws were much more awkward than my vacuum chuck and I moved back to the vacuum as soon as I could. I have a variety of different sized chucks and love them.

Get a vacuum system, you will never regret it.

Cheers,
    David

I use mine pretty much any time I turn a bowl or hollow form. It is mounted on a board that hangs by a post at the headstock and I just have to pick up and insert the adapter into the handle. I use one of JT Turnings Tools' handwheel/adapters on my Jet 1642 and the rest is shop made. It is no more trouble to set up than any other chuck, and generally less than a jamb chuck.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I too use mine all the time. More convenient to me than a jamb chuck.

I love my Vacuum Chucks as well!!!
    I would not want to be without it. I use a vac chuck on all bowls, especially NE bowls. The four different size chucks are fantastic. 3", 2.5", 1.5" and a PVC 5"? Not positive on the size right now.
    I spoke to a Production Turner yesterday at a Woodshow and he makes hundreds of cored bowls each year and he uses his vac chuck on all of them.

We could have a more in depth discussion here on vac systems if there is an interest.
    The Woodworking Friends Forum is having one at the current time.
    Peter F.

I don't use mine all the time but when I do, I'm always happy it's there. It takes less than 5 minutes to connect to my Jet 1642. It's not difficult to make the setup and thereby save some $.

Life without mine would be very different.
    I often use it as the primary holding source
    even roughing.

Mods, if this is out of line please remove/replace or whatever seems right.

Let me put in a plug for the "frugal chuck" operation. No financial connection on my part, but the owner is a good friend. First class setup at significant savings.

Terry,
    I appreciate that you like your Frugal system, but there are some severe limitations with the way the vac chuck is designed and made...
    Like I said in my first post we could delve deeper if anyone wants?
    Peter F.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    Terry,
    I appreciate that you like your Frugal system, but there are some severe limitations with the way the vac chuck is designed and made...
    Like I said in my first post we could delve deeper if anyone wants?
    Peter F.

I haven't dealt with Frugal and don't know the owner. However, I will say the name seems accurate! I'm putting together a vacuum chuck as we speak so I can't say how often I will use it, I think a lot but we always think that when we are shelling out the dollars. Anyway, I had some difficulty contacting Frugal, now appears to be my fault, or my computer's, since I can always blame the machine!

Buying a used vacuum pump which I don't know if I will have to rebuild until the system is completely set up, chasing bits and pieces, all the things involved with a pretty major plumbing project even if it is on a small scale, I have a good bit more spent than if I had bought the Frugal, even the "best" version. Also a lot of time invested in this project. Part of the issue is that I live in a rural area where it is a twenty mile round trip to the hardware, sixty or so to a big box, but I would have been miles ahead starting with a Frugal system even if I modified it extensively. Aside from anything else, my chuck would have been up and running weeks ago instead of still messing with it as a side project when I am in the mood. I think I will work on it today, until I remember whatever little small thing I needed that shut down the project last time!

Hu

Thanks to everyone for your input. It looks like I'll be buying a vacuum chuck shortly. I am able to get the bottoms presentable as is, but I will appreciate being able to do it right.

Thanks again.

Like a lot those who chimed in already, I wouldn't wan to be without it. I use it every time I turn a bowl and usually when turning hollow forms. Using the JT turning tools vacuum adapter, the hookup involves slipping in the adapter and changing the chuck. About a two minute operation.

I also use mine to hold work on the bench while carving or signing bottoms - actually I've got a separate pump hooked up to it - the same chucks, just attached to a Woodcut ProMount that easily adjusts to any position. I keep a chuck in it that is sized to hold most of what I work on. Quick change without a key.

http://sierramold.com/index.php/wood...huck-assembly/

I use a Seirra Mold VacuuMaster. I've had it going on 8-10 years I think. I have a Stubby with built in vacuum port but since I have this I've just always used it. Takes no time to screw it on. Not associated with them, just a happy customer. It is on the pricey side but convenience was worth it.