Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vfd help need, cheap chinese vfd off ebay

vfd help need, cheap chinese vfd off ebay

I bought 2 of these for my tools due to budget constraints, but I can't get them working, I hooked them up to 220 power and tried to run my 3 phase drill press, all I get is a quiet hum from the motor (I wired directly to the motor) I got out my multimeter, and the 220 going is is at correct voltage, the 3 phase going out jumps around like crazy, varies between about 18 and 100 volts. is there some setting I am missing or are these not working and need sent back?

eBay item#400365175257
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-06-2015 at 4:51 PM. Reason: eBay hot links not allowed

Cody, sorry I wasn't able to be more help. Perhaps someone with hands on experience with this manufacturer can help resolve issue?

To the rest of the SMC community, I went thru Cody's set-up with him on the phone and for what he's doing, the default configuration parameters seem fine as a starting point (at least so far as I understand them from the pages of manual that he sent me). Also can't pick a hole in his wiring set-up. I considered that it might be just 'operator familiarity' (i.e. that he's pushing the wrong button), but after talking with him - - the controls just aren't that complicated, and he's doing exactly what I'd try. Anyway my efforts so far have been carefully aligned with "EPIC FAIL" mode...!

I can't actually help, Cody, but I CAN tell you that that particular VFD, sold under many brand names, is known to be complete junk. Unless you can return it, you might consider this a lesson and toss it.

You can get a 3 HP TECO FM50 for about $195 if you shop around, and they are very dependable.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I can't actually help, Cody, but I CAN tell you that that particular VFD, sold under many brand names, is known to be complete junk. Unless you can return it, you might consider this a lesson and toss it.

You can get a 3 HP TECO FM50 for about $195 if you shop around, and they are very dependable.
    I really went over budget on the tool purchases I made, so I am trying to save as much as possible, if they are not working I will return them and look into other options, it would be great to be able to get my tools up and running though. I was trying to find a manual online and couldn't. I have read through the manual I have and everything seems setup right...

Cody,

You may need to increase the Hertz to 60. Turn it on and push the up arrow till it gets to 60.

Cody post all your settings

Also a link to your manual online
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 10-06-2015 at 9:37 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boyd View Post
    Cody,

You may need to increase the Hertz to 60. Turn it on and push the up arrow till it gets to 60.
    it defaulted to 400hertz? I have lowered it and tried at 60, 50, 40, 130 etc. no change, when the hertz goes up the voltage on multimeter seems to go a little higher.

I couldn't find an online manual...
    Here are pictures of the parameters from manual:
    pg09.jpgpg10.jpg
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-06-2015 at 4:58 PM. Reason: Please upload files directly to SMC.

Cody,

This a foreign piece of equipment. Is the wiring for the 220 correct? For a lot of the items sold here 220 runs on black, hot and ground while foreign countries have tools that may run on black, hot and neutral. Have you consulted an electrician?

I have not talked to electrician, ground and neutral go to same bus in the fuse panel. And it has hot, hot, then it looks like green pitch fork, which is symbol for ground...

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    it defaulted to 400hertz? I have lowered it and tried at 60, 50, 40, 130 etc. no change, when the hertz goes up the voltage on multimeter seems to go a little higher.
    Ah but what source for frequency output is the VFD using? Not the picture on the website indicates a potentiometer in the lower right. There are likely two inputs available to set the output frequency. You have been changing the frequency via the arrows, but it may be looking for a setpoint via that pot. Two choices, and I would try both. (1) It appears parameters 3 and 4 set/change the input for the frequency. (2) use 2 equal size resistors (instead of or if you don't have a pot) on those terminals to see if it will run.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 10-06-2015 at 4:58 PM.

The control panel display shows the Hz setpoint. Cody indicated display IS changing. If the speed reference source was selected for 'external', then display would not change when adjustments are made via onboard up/down keys.

That's my theory at least. But I was wrong. Once. I think.

Been there, done that. It may change on the display but have no effect. My toshiba VFD is that way. My toshiba drive has a built in pot, and the frequency setpoint displays moves, but not the output unless the internal pot is selected as the input (and it is not the default setting). My display can also be changed to display output frequency or input setpoint.

Using the external resistors or pot is a quick check.

Cody, are you there? You may have a winner here?!

I'd check the VFD configuration first and edit the parameter (if necessary) to use onboard reference.

Did you contact Erik Manchester from your other thread? Sounded like he's used these vfd's and could have some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Did you contact Erik Manchester from your other thread? Sounded like he's used these vfd's and could have some insight.
    It would be great if he (Cody) could lend the manual to someone with the ability to turn it into a pdf so we might be able to see the rest of the information. I am concerned the VFD is 240V single pole hot-neutral (Europe) and not 220V double pole hot to hot (USA).

Any chance there is something wrong with the motor?
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 10-06-2015 at 1:19 PM.