Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ceiling decor in my shop

New ceiling decor in my shop

I was turning some more large ash in the shop and enjoying the curls coming off my gouge and flowing over my shoulder. When I turned around I was greeted by this new hanging fixture. Pretty cool!

image.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob, I take it the ash had just a little bit of moisture in it

Would scare the crap out of me if I turned around in the shop and saw something like that

Put some lights in it and use it for a Christmas Tree!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by George Werner View Post
    Would scare the crap out of me if I turned around in the shop and saw something like that
    My thoughts too!!

Red
    RED

Looks like a New Years Eve party. Let's have a drink to our old acquaintances -- where's the bar?

There are folks that would pay good money for what they consider 'art'. Put a light fixture in there and some big corporation would pay well to hang it in their lobby.

I am thinking there is some government money somewhere to enlarge that and hang it downtown.

Bob,
    When I first saw the title of your post, I envisioned a piece of exploded bowl embedded in your ceiling (happened to me once), glad to see that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    Bob,
    When I first saw the title of your post, I envisioned a piece of exploded bowl embedded in your ceiling (happened to me once), glad to see that's not the case.
    Don, I have a couple pieces stuck into the paneling on the wall from a exploded piece. Keep it there for a reminder. This was a much more pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    Bob,
    That's what I thought when first seeing the title of the post. Concluded Bob was just figuring out a way to post another picture of that sweet new American Beauty lathe of his, most likely just like I would have done!!!!!! But on a serious note, it's nice to see your getting a lot of good use out of your new beast of a lathe. I drool every time you post something new Bob. Please keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    That's what I thought when first seeing the title of the post. Concluded Bob was just figuring out a way to post another picture of that sweet new American Beauty lathe of his, most likely just like I would have done!!!!!! But on a serious note, it's nice to see your getting a lot of good use out of your new beast of a lathe. I drool every time you post something new Bob. Please keep it up.
    Dave here is today's bowl. 17 1/2" x 3 1/2" deep. Turned like butter. The beads were cut with a pointed 3/8" deep fluted Thompson gouge.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

That's just over the top nicely done Bob. Like your undercut and bottom detail and the grain of this piece of wood is really sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    That's just over the top nicely done Bob. Like your undercut and bottom detail and the grain of this piece of wood is really sweet.
    Thanks Dave. The undercut is done with a 1/2" spindle gouge with sept back wings. A series of push and pull cuts give a very clean cut that needs little sanding. It is also a great tool for taking out the inside of boxes. Mine is ground back about 1 1/2" wit a rounded nose. Pull cuts from the center out make short work of the walls.

I turned around recently in my shop and found two 5' snake skins hanging from the joists. Chicken snakes--just love them. Keeps the rats and females away.