Thread: Need someone to retooth my backsaw

Need someone to retooth my backsaw

I have tried to retooth a really nice Groves & Sons backsaw, but at my age I can't see the teeth well enough. I tried a lighted magnifying visor, but still can't focus to that level of detail. If anyone is interested in helping me out, you can PM me and we can continue the discussion via email or phone. It would be well worth the cost to bring this sweet saw back to workability. I really would appreciate having this saw available. Thanks in advance...

Doug Trembath

Blog Entries
    Try some drugstore reader glasses with a +3 or greater. This was George Wilson's tip and it works!

You may have to look for them, but they are out there.

Bad Axe Tool Works (Technoprimitive LLC) will recondition your saw for a very reasonable price, I think around $60 USD.

ken

Blog Entries
    Doug,

I had a similar problem. George Wilson stated that he used reading glasses with a high number, something like +3.5.

I ran across a pair of +3.5 readers, purchased them, and used them.

I can see the teeth clearly now. I have been able to retooth 3 saws as a result.

Blog Entries
    This makes me feel awful - +3.5 readers? My prescription glasses are a +6.25 (Strongly farsighted with astigmatism).

I use a magnifying visor over my glasses. You can get the better ones a lenses between 3-10X. I recommend a better light than any I have seen on a visor. A aim-able gooseneck LED and good overhead light work for me.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Daryl Weir Recommendation A+++ IMHO

I had a 1800's back saw retoothed and sharpened by Daryl Weir back in 3/17/2011 for $51.20.
    He really did a great job. Fixed the screws and trued the blade. I've been using this dove tail saw ever since
    and it's only required a bit of touch up with a file after a couple years of use.

Highly recommended.
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=da...r=dss_yset_chr

www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?13383-Daryl-Weir

Last edited by Terry Beadle; 10-08-2015 at 12:23 PM.