Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #4 segmented turning

#4 segmented turning

12" tall of Canary Wood and Hard Maple. 256 pieces. Wood Turners Finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C&C WELCOME

Very nicely done. I hope to get into this sort of thing next year.

Great looking vase......I would like to try something like that but I have no Idea of what angles to cut the wood at to make the pieces...I'm assuming they are different for a 4" round piece than they are for a 10" round piece....any tips on how it's figured out?

Berry. The angle is by determined the number of segments per ring. I use 16. It is the length per segment that gives you the diameter needed for each ring.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Berry. The angle is by determined the number of segments per ring. I use 16. It is the length per segment that gives you the diameter needed for each ring.
    Ok... thanks...is there any tutorial on SMC or elsewhere that would be good to use for a beginner at this method showing such things as the angle to use for the number of segments etc... I think I read somewhere that you need a "sled" to make all the cuts accurately ?

Barry; I do not know what is available on this site. Check out some books on the subject. Accuracy is everything here, angles, thickness, length of segments, ect.
    C&C WELCOME

OK.. thanks Allen... I'll check into it..

Barry, If you want N segments to form a ring of outside diameter D, then each end of the segment is cut at 180/N degrees, and the length of the longer side is D times TAN(180/N).

Check out Malcolm Tibbetts ... his books and dvds are the best out there.

tim

I learned from watching a couple of YouTube videos...not as hard as it would first appear though it is somewhat labor intensive. The above piece is beautiful and a piece of art...just putting a couple of simple things together isn't nearly as arduous though it helps to have a few tools available (i.e. a drum sander for instance). Good luck...John

Check out Kevin Neelley, Turnedwood.com He has a step by step for beginners and a program on how to cut angles for segments. He is how I got started in Segment turning

RP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Great looking vase......I would like to try something like that but I have no Idea of what angles to cut the wood at to make the pieces...I'm assuming they are different for a 4" round piece than they are for a 10" round piece....any tips on how it's figured out?

This is by far the easiest method I have found for cutting segments.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E45244qX1PM

Greh

Thanks everyone for the tips...very helpful

That's a very nice vase. I like the pattern and wood selection.

the ratio of the base diameter to the neck diameter is too high to make it visually appealing to me.