Thread: Leisure time mod 8421 detail master 3 dagger

Leisure time mod 8421 detail master 3 dagger

does anyone have one of these? I bought it at a sale cheap but it does not have the
    handle or tip. L believe it is called a burner but l would like to use it to engrave with.
    Byron

It is my understanding they went out of business. You might find handles and tips on E-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by byron constantine View Post
    does anyone have one of these? I bought it at a sale cheap but it does not have the
    handle or tip. L believe it is called a burner but l would like to use it to engrave with.
    Byron
    what you have is a power supply for one of the Detail Master pyrography (wood burning) systems. The owner of DMPS had been battling cancer for several years and the website went down about three months ago.This is not an engraving tool if that is what you are really looking for.

DMPS had probably a hundred different styles and sizes of wood burning pens. The good news is that the pens made by Burnmaster and Optima and possibly others can be used in your power supply. All that is needed is the right plug adapter.

You will need to decide what particular pens suit your needs. I would rank Optima as the best by a mile. Burnmaster tips are really crude by comparison, but there are worse ones. I would recommend going to the Optima website to gain some basic information and then call them to discuss your needs. Expect to,pay 25 to 30 dollars per pen.
    Bill

Be aware that there are 2 volt systems and 3 volt systems. I believe you have a 3 volt system (3 volts DC to
    the tip). If you use a pen designed for 2 volt in a 3 volt system, it may have a shorter life.

I only gave $1 for the pwr supply so even if i had to pay $30 for the pen i am still way ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    what you have is a power supply for one of the Detail Master pyrography (wood burning) systems. The owner of DMPS had been battling cancer for several years and the website went down about three months ago.This is not an engraving tool if that is what you are really looking for.

DMPS had probably a hundred different styles and sizes of wood burning pens. The good news is that the pens made by Burnmaster and Optima and possibly others can be used in your power supply. All that is needed is the right plug adapter.

You will need to decide what particular pens suit your needs. I would rank Optima as the best by a mile. Burnmaster tips are really crude by comparison, but there are worse ones. I would recommend going to the Optima website to gain some basic information and then call them to discuss your needs. Expect to,pay 25 to 30 dollars per pen.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Be aware that there are 2 volt systems and 3 volt systems. I believe you have a 3 volt system (3 volts DC to
    the tip). If you use a pen designed for 2 volt in a 3 volt system, it may have a shorter life.
    I didn't want to throw too much information out there so that is why I just mentioned Burnmaster and Optima because both of them are 3 volt systems. BTW, I believe that the voltage is AC and not DC (but I could be mistaken, it wouldn't be the first time).

Quote Originally Posted by byron constantine View Post
    I only gave $1 for the pwr supply so even if i had to pay $30 for the pen i am still way ahead.
    You got a great deal . . . . make that a steal. The one that you have originally sold for somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred bucks. The Optima and Burnmaster websites both have pictures of all their tips and give a description of their purpose. As a starter, you would probably want to get a writing tip. There are various sizes and styles of writing tips. If you get into doing some decorative burning on your turnings then a skew tip and shading tip would be useful. I make basket illusion pieces so I use a special tip that is a modified fish scale pen. It was a custom order from Detail Master. Fortunately, some other people who also do this type of work have convinced Optima to make this type of tip. I have a couple of them and must say that they are better than the ones that Detail Master made. Another company tried making this type of tip (I can't remember the name), but they were a dismal failure. A group of us on WoW who do basket illusion pieces have been investigating different tips.
    Bill