Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Katrina's Coming

Be safe Carl. Praters here for your well being through this storm.

Ernie

Carl,

Stay safe!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I think after this is over, the mayor of NO is going to have to explain why they waited till Sunday to order mandatory evacuations.

At least all of my cousins got out.

Okay, I understand the need to let everybody know that this is a big one, but sheesh!!! Sounds like some Hollywood writers scripted this...I got it from a reliable news agency....

Urgent Weather Message from NWS New Orleans

WWUS74 KLIX 281550NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.

CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...

AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...

BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE..

.ARECERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTUREOUTSIDE!LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005
    Carl, be safe and God bless.

Keith

It is not. This is gonna be a bad one. I lived through Camille on the MS Gulf coast and this is something you don't really want wish on anyone. Though you always hope that it will be someone else's cane.

This will effect the country almost as bad or worse as 9/11. Heres is why:

The amount of deaths will be higher, much higher if the SuperDome floods or has damage.

50% of all the oil refined in the US is pumped at the LOOP of Grand Isle..where it is hitting. Gas will probably reach over 3 bucks a gallon by the end of the week.

damage estimated 100 billion

All of this is if nothing changes or if the experts are wrong...lets hope they are. This storm is the one my parents always told us about..This is "The Big One".

FYI

In the GNO area you have the following:

BP/Amaco refinery
    Murphy Oil Refinery
    ARCO refinery

Little Further north:
    Marathon Refinery
    Shell Oil Norco Complex
    A few other small refineries

Baton Rouge Area
    Exxon
    Placid
    few other small refineries

This does not take into account the chemical plants.

Plus - Since Friday the companies have shut down the offshore production platforms and pulled the workers. The drilling rigs are battened down and the workers pulled also. The production platforms, at least those that are not torn up take a week or more to get back up and running.

I spent all weekend without listening to the news or weather, and didn't realize until tonight the severity of Katrina. My thoughts and best wishes go out to those in the path. I'm hoping Carl is well hunkered down, or did indeed make it out of town, despite the snail-like traffic.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 08-29-2005 at 3:41 PM.

Local TV reports superdome roof leaking and loud banging on roof. People moving to more protected areas. OVer 10K people are in the superdome right now.

Local reports state that the area where Carl and Lynn live have little damage. They also state that there is widespread power outages and it could be weeks without power.

They got lucky when the storm turned a bit to the East.

I hope everyone is okay dow there. I seems that the flooding is very severe.

I saw this video and I have to say that it is either staged or the driver is the most stupid idiotic moron in the world to just drive into a flooded road. Is this for real or what?

Video
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Carl,

I hope that you are doing okay today! Hang in there bud and let us know when you can, that you are okay!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    I hope everyone is okay dow there. I seems that the flooding is very severe.

I saw this video and I have to say that it is either staged or the driver is the most stupid idiotic moron in the world to just drive into a flooded road. Is this for real or what?

Video
    Wasnt staged the driver was from out of town and was stunned by the impact...the rescuer was a anchor from a tv station, they were filming the new improved flood pump at that intersection. That is a very deceptive area you come from over an overpass and the road dives below a railcrossing. It always floods so the city installed a new pump that stopped working because of power outages.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    Wasnt staged the driver was from out of town and was stunned by the impact...the rescuer was a anchor from a tv station, they were filming the new improved flood pump at that intersection. That is a very deceptive area you come from over an overpass and the road dives below a railcrossing. It always floods so the city installed a new pump that stopped working because of power outages.
    I think the thing that catches my attention in that video clip is the fact that the windshield wipers continued to work after the entire engine compartment (and I'd guess much of the power distribution system) was submersed.

Glad to read that the damage to the NOLA area was somewhat less than originally predicted. Nonetheless, not a good way to start the week any way you look at it.

- Vaughn

Man, what a storm. I couldn't imagine what a direct hit would have done, hope all are safe and know that we are praying for you and the rebuilding a wonderful city with great tradition. Sounds like it could be months for some folks to get power. For a city that has much tourism, it may be years before it can recover, if ever. There is a lot of water to be removed, once the levees can be rebuilt.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs