Thread: Question For Cabinet Builders

Question For Cabinet Builders

I am building an basecab for my bathroom. The panel that goes in front of the sink, if I glue,air nail,screw it on to the face frame will I run into a problem when the contractor comes to install the granite or man made counter top. I want a recessed, below sink. If I install the panel where it can not be removed will this cause a problem with access to the sink installation?

Thanks Johnny

I built a vanity last winter. I built it with that panel removable but they never even asked if it was removable. They installed my undernourished sink with no problems.

I built mine with no center stile between the two doors which was my preference. I did the plumbing connections myself. The vanities you purchase have center stiles and sinks are installed and plumbing done all the time.

You should have no issues.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The counter top guys should not need the access you are asking about to install the counter top, but there are design features to the top of the cabinet frame they prefer for attaching the top to the base unit. Check with them or show the counter top guys your base unit plans to confirm all will be compatible.
    David

I have built and installed many vanities. I usually just use a prefab natural stone or quartz top with the sink already built in. Normal installation for a bathroom vanity is 4 blobs of silicone and set the counter in with the plumbing already installed. I could not imagine wasting money a contractor for such a job! My kitchen undermount sink was a bit more involved but still very easy and still didn't need access to that front panel. I have always made that front panel hinged on the bottom with a little pocket container behind it for hold small items.

A couple of times Ihave scored awsome deals from the big block stores on tops with chiped edges. I just cut them down to fit my vanity width and install.

I have also built and installed many vanities. I usually put a couple of cleats behind that panel and attach it with screws from behind so it can be removed later. Not absolutely necessary, but if the sink ever gets cracked or something and needs to be replaced, being able to remove that panel can make the job easier (been down that road more than once, too!)

They will need to have enough access to apply retaining clips.
    On a recessed sink you could have a problem but you can change the height of the upper rail to accomodate.

A common technique is to screw a couple thin strips of wood on the back and rotate into place/tighten screws.

Simple solution: ask the installers, not us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    A common technique is to screw a couple thin strips of wood on the back and rotate into place/tighten screws.

Simple solution: ask the installers, not us!!
    This how I did it. I had an under mount sink and they never asked if that panel came out.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I don't see how the panel affects anything. I have also built several bathroom vanities and have never made one with a removable panel where the sink is. If you don't hook up the sink plumbing before putting the sink in place, you are stuck on your back in the cabinet making the connections. Access in front doesn't do anything for you that I can see. The right thing to do, whenever possible, is to make the drain and supply connections to the sink before putting it in place. Then connect the flexible supplies to the shutoff valves and hook the downpiece to the P-trap and you're done. These connections are visible behind the doors. Painful exercise on the back avoided.

I have made a hinged panel, however and I like that for storage of little stuff as has been mentioned. But I see it more useful at the kitchen sink than the bathroom.

Doubtful that the panel needs to be removable, but in my kitchen when I "reset" the oven cabinet to accommodate dual ovens, I used some spring clips kind of like these to attach a false panel that had been a drawer front in its previous life. The ones I used though were steel, not plastic.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I used these, and each one of my kids have their own side for their toothpaste and toothbrush.

http://www.amazon.com/Rev---Shelf-65...out+drawer+kit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyy Johnson View Post
    I am building an basecab for my bathroom. The panel that goes in front of the sink, if I glue,air nail,screw it on to the face frame will I run into a problem when the contractor comes to install the granite or man made counter top. I want a recessed, below sink. If I install the panel where it can not be removed will this cause a problem with access to the sink installation?

Thanks Johnny
    Nope...................

My wife insisted on one of those bowl things that mount on top of the counter, front panel became two drawers that cleared the plumbing drops.

Normally I fix the panels by any means that makes sense but almost always removable in some fashion but not necessary for typical sink installs.

If you haven't started yet, I would scrap the ideal of that fake drawer panel anyway. Two doors bottom to top look much better and allow much more access to the cabinet. If you have the room, a column of drawers are very useful.

Dan

IMG_2080 (Medium).jpg

Nice idea Dan but too many times I have to follow designs by others (draw/approve process) or design to period of the rest of the house.

I don't think access is an issue..They do it every day usually without..Always good to plan ahead though.
    Jerry