Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have a lot of screws(I mean a lot) - how do you store them?

If you have a lot of screws(I mean a lot) - how do you store them?

I keep a ton of screws in my shop. I've got slotted flat heat wood screws sizes #4 - #17 in many, many lengths. If there's anyone else here that "stocks" screws like that, how do you keep them organized? I've got mine in multiple plastic compartment cases, but I'm thinking of building some sort of boxes or trays because I hate the plastic cases. I'm having trouble coming up with ideas, and I've looked on sites like Pinterest, but most of what I find on there are hobbyist types of setups, so they aren't talking about "stock" screws, but more just the plain idea of organizing screws and other small parts. I thought about building a simple shelf unit out of 2x4s. This unit could run the length of a wall, and the shelves would be 2' deep. I could then build trays which were compartmentalized, and they would pull out. So, I could have one tray that would have for example #8, #10, and #12 screws. Another would have #14-#17. Then, I could make the same thing, but on a smaller scale which would hold the smaller stuff - and that's just flat head screws...

What does your screw organization look like?

I like the Talenti gelato jar solution.
    The lids prevent spills, allow stacking, and make the containers portable. 1/2 of my screw usage is outside the shop anyway.

I scored a metal card file cabinet free-for-the-hauling - - like a traditional file cabinet, but 10 drawers are shallow (4") x 36"D X ~14"W. Each screw/nail/bolt drawer gets a lift-out partitioned box with 3 x 3 compartments. Lift box out and take it with you as needed.

It is MASSIVELY HEAVY, so plan on suitable casters. Mine's on 6".
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-15-2015 at 10:18 AM.

I use the plastic drawer organizers. Most have the small trays, something like 6 wide and 10 tall. I have a few with larger drawers mixed in. A row of 6 cabinets sit on the back of a 12" wide shelf. 5 more sit in front on small trucks built using skate board bearings bolted into the corners of a 1x6 board. This gives me plenty of storage space in a minimal amount of room

I keep screws, batteries, electronic components, and many other things in them. It is nice to be able to move them around when you get another type of screw. It is also nice to be able to take the drawer with you while you work somewhere.

Steve

Well I think I only keep about 1k-2k screws on hand... But I got the new Milwaukee organizer the other day and am really happy with it. I have about 1200 screws in it now and it's not full. You can literally drop the whole thing on the ground and everything stays in its place, which is usually the downside to these kinds of containers, the screws mix if they get turned over. The little cubbies are removable so you can take them to the work and they have little slots on the back so you can hang the cubbie on a screw head if needed, mount to a bench side, etc. Each one of the cubbies holds about 400 #8 1 1/2" screws for reference... and it also has longer ones to keep 3" and up fasteners. 2 of these would give you 24 different cups that hold anywhere from 100-500 screws depending on length... at least a couple thousand screws in each one and they're completely separated and portable. Best thing I've found for screw storage that's some sort of stationary cabinet type setup.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...5046/205847797

Grandpa used to save baby food jars, screw the lid to the underside of a shelf and screw the jars on and off the lid as needed...

I use the locking, stackable trays similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-BIN-6.../dp/B000HJD6N2 (smaller sizes are available)

I picked this up at the salvage yard. The drawers are 17" deep and hold a lot of screws.
    It works well for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-15-2015 at 1:54 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My grandfather started this with three carousels. I expanded on the idea.

fastener rack 001.jpg

Bruce - that's EXACTLY what I need! Except, 10 of them...

Yonak - that's a serious setup you have there.

All - I think my anal personality really gets in the way here. I like to have everything in my life uniform and neat. It's possible that the Marine Corps did that for me, but I can remember having a neat room as a child too. I was hoping someone here had a silver bullet which is why I asked. I think for now, I'll just keep using plastic organizers like Jack's. Those are cheap and easy to acquire. If anyone else has a nice setup, post a pic!

Bruce - what I wouldn't give for a small wall of those.... well, to be completely fair and honest, I'm not sure what I'd give.

Hey Bruce - check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Durham-007-95-...storage+drawer 200 bucks!!!

My plan/wintertime project is to build a series of "trays" to organize and hold small bottles (prescription pill bottles). The trays are of a shadow box design, with a layer of solid hardboard on the bottom and layer of hardboard on top with holes cut to stabilize/hold the bottles.

FYI. Home Depot and Lowe's stock a total of 367 different screws/sizes between #2 and #14 in round/flat/oval/hex heads, steel/brass, machine/wood/sheet metal screw; plus the washers and nuts for each. I know. I stood in the aisle and wrote then all down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Hey Bruce - check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Durham-007-95-...storage+drawer 200 bucks!!!
    That is pretty much what I did but paid much less. I've found some great deals on new that match used from the used places. It probably depends on your area and supply and demand. Amazon has a good deal on some items. Zorotools.com beats the heck out of them on others and sometime has a one day sale. Here is about half of mine for my personal hardware at home:
    IMG_0590.jpg
    I added two more of the deeper units (18") as they hold bins of screws better. Compare the prices on Amazon and Zoro. Put the items you want from Zoro in your cart and ignore it. They will come back and offer you a discount to complete the transaction.

Items that fit in the removable drawer are items that are not needed daily but then you want to haul the entire drawer because you don't know exactly the size you need:
    IMG_0588.jpgIMG_0591.jpg
    The cheap Stanley bins work well for some items:
    IMG_0592.jpg
    along with more removable drawer units that didn't fit anywhere else.

I'm building a hardware storage to hold all of it - someday, that is......I'm actually thinking some common items that come in useful plastic tubs may best be left in those tubs for use. Home Depot, of all places, actually has some very useful sizes of GRK screws in bins that seem to be just about right to just leave in those bins.

Spending time to chase hardware is just silly. You need to have everything available in your shop or you will never get anything done.

i use bin from quantum tip out storage bins. they come in several sizes. the nice thing is that they are all the same width so the can stack. i'm thinking of building a roller cabinet that is deep enough to mount them on a slide so there will be several stacks on several slides in the cabinet.

I use gator aid containers ,the plastic orange colored ,mix it yourself ones. The plastic cases with multiple adjascent bins all open at one time ....I have never seen work,always turn into a jumble. Sharpie markers work well on Gator aid jars and
    tops. If you have to work with others you need to understand there are people who will not tolerate any sort of order and see any container with fewer than 10 or 12 different sized screws as a threat to their personal freedom. I worked for a guy whose extensive hardware holdings were a disaster. Over time I sorted everything on my own time,put all into marked GA containers with a sample wired to to the outside of container. That seemed to be an unsettling thing for him. He had never minded the mess but once all was in order he would walk over to me holding something and say like "are you sure this is a number 6 screw, doesn't look like it".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    They're a lot cheaper at the salvage yard if you have one. I paid ~ $35 for mine IIRC. They had several of them but I only needed / had room for one. What is really nice is being able to just slide the drawer out of the cabinet and take it to the bench.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney