Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have a lot of screws(I mean a lot) - how do you store them?

I use somethign like this:

They are cheap @ BORG, made frames, hung with french cleat so they can be moved-Large boxes and overstocked is in larger storage area.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I use plastic oil cans on a 2 by 4 shelf above the garage doors. This is unused space normally and it keeps all of the storage cans in plain view.
    I cut the top off of the cans and soak them in a large bin with detergent then rinse, the labels fall off after a couple days of soak time and I use a grease pencil to write on the cans which is easy to remove when necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My screws are all stored at Lowe's and Home Depot.

I don't have as many as you guys but I did buy several sizes in one fell swoop from Grizzly many many years ago. They came in some nice cardboard boxes and I just keep refilling them.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I think I might have copied this from another Creeker but it works pretty well for me.

Screw boxes.jpg

I use these for the boxes

Stan
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

Blog Entries
    Problem solved???

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Problem solved???

Now that's just funny.

Man, there are so many different ideas here - I love it! Ultimately, what would work best are those metal drawers Greg has. but those are HUGE money! I think I'm just going to make a few trays, and put those yellow Stanley cups inside them. simple.

Partition filled drawers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Partition filled drawers.
    EUREKA! That's it! That's precisely what I was thinking in my pea-sized mind! Where did you get all thoselittle red dishes?

rmschaller on ebay
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

image.jpg
    I don't have as many to store as most of you, it seems. This drawer holds most of mine. The rest are in cheap plastic units screwed to the wall.

I am a pharmacist and live in the United Kingdom I use empty manufacturers stock containers used to store dispensary stock medicines

You could ask you local pharmacy to save them for you

To remove the lables from the container,do not wet them Carefully pour hot water into the containers ,this will melt the adhesive and allow you to peel off the label If there is a residue of glue remove this with a solvent eg Petrol
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 10-17-2015 at 5:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I use plastic oil cans on a 2 by 4 shelf above the garage doors. This is unused space normally and it keeps all of the storage cans in plain view.
    I cut the top off of the cans and soak them in a large bin with detergent then rinse, the labels fall off after a couple days of soak time and I use a grease pencil to write on the cans which is easy to remove when necessary.

Pennzoil, eh?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Brian,

Can you provide a picture of the stock containers?

Jason,

I used to use Pennzoil for all my vehicles and yard machines in the old days so I have about 60 feet of their oil cans on shelves in two shops. Three decades ago I was able to acquire new fasteners in five gallon buckets from a scrap yard at a project where I was working which is why I have so many containers. I had to find a way to organize a lot of fasteners and do it for cheap

For bulk storage I use the large blue plastic Maxwell House coffee cans and in some cases I still use five gallon buckets. Sadly over the years my inventory of fasteners has decreased and I have to purchase them more and more these days.
    I do store more than fasteners though, the oil cans work well for wooden plugs, hinges, staples, screw inserts, etc,etc.

Blog Entries
    I am not a production shop and have no need to have more than a few screws at my fingertips at any given time. If you have a large quantity I would set out a small quantity to have immediately available and store the rest somewhere out of the primary work area; in a shed, in the rafters, under the bed in the guest bedroom.

I use a Plano Stowaway box as the building block for my storage. Lowe's carried one similar to this and I bought a boat-load when they clearanced them out. The point is, I don't need 500 screws of each type cluttering up my work area. I need a few on hand and the rest are stored as "supplies" somewhere out of my precious shop space ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler