Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Expensive is Turning

$1,056.74....

Approximately...

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Don't let the cost of woodturning scare you away. The chainsaw, bandsaw and truck are only required IF you want to get free wood......
    Funniest thing written this entire thread.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

"Is turning expensive?"
    I think if you want to turn "expensive" things like large hollow forms, you will need "expensive" tooling. Of all the turners I know who turn large hollow forms, their setups are well north of 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    What a great question! I don't have much to add to the previous responses, except:

If I were starting over today -- your father isn't, because he already has the lathe -- I'd purchase a good used lathe and buy new (or almost new) tools and accessories. Lathes, like cars, depreciate most right after they leave the showroom, but maintain that secondary value for quite some time. Other than a couple of $9 bearings (a simple fix) and a few pulleys, there just isn't much that can wear out. Point is, you can almost always re-coup your investment.

If you join a club (most woodworking retailers honor members with discounts) you'll quickly become part of a social network that will get you cheap wood. I'd join a club BEFORE buying things.

As a bonus, turning will keep your mind active and your backside off of a barstool.
    Joining a club has other added benefits: mentors, being notified if there's an estate sale with turning equipment, scholarships to turning classes, and free wood. I've enjoyed all of the above, and demonstrated at local arts & crafts fairs to help promote the club. We have about 180 members, and I'd say almost all of them are better turners than I am, so I can learn a lot of things.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Rich, I've got 4 lathes ( 3520b, Jet 1442, 2 Jet 1220vs midi's- new), Jet 18 in. bandsaw, Craftsman 14 in. bandsaw, 4 routers, 9 chucks Vic sn2, 2 grizzly. Leigh 24" dovetail jig, Leigh FMT jig. every bit Leigh makes, Jet 16-32 sander, about 30 lathe tools, about every power hand tool known to man, 3 chainsaws, 30 ton log splitter, 2 cannister dust collection-Grizzly, 8 hp chipper shreder, and many, many, more woodturning and woodworking toys. Many annual fun trips to symposiums Colorado, Idaho, SWAT, AAW etc, 50" color tv and cablevision in the shop, electric heat and cooling in the shop and the list goes on and on. Never kept track of how much. Why buy all that? I don't know. Just thought I had to have it. All that and I am still a low end intermediate turner but I am a very happy low end intermediate turner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Edwards View Post
    Rich, I've got 4 lathes ( 3520b, Jet 1442, 2 Jet 1220vs midi's- new), Jet 18 in. bandsaw, Craftsman 14 in. bandsaw, 4 routers, 9 chucks Vic sn2, 2 grizzly. Leigh 24" dovetail jig, Leigh FMT jig. every bit Leigh makes, Jet 16-32 sander, about 30 lathe tools, about every power hand tool known to man, 3 chainsaws, 30 ton log splitter, 2 cannister dust collection-Grizzly, 8 hp chipper shreder, and many, many, more woodturning and woodworking toys. Many annual fun trips to symposiums Colorado, Idaho, SWAT, AAW etc, 50" color tv and cablevision in the shop, electric heat and cooling in the shop and the list goes on and on. Never kept track of how much. Why buy all that? I don't know. Just thought I had to have it. All that and I am still a low end intermediate turner but I am a very happy low end intermediate turner.
    You aren't allowed to count the log splitter and chipper. That's just reaching. Haha. ;-).

Another thought to consider...I think it's safe to say that we've all purchased tools, woodworking/turning or otherwise, that we never really utilized sufficiently to justify the costs, etc. One of the great things about Craig's List and forums such as this is the opportunity to sell off under-used tools to recoup at least some of those dollars to go towards things we really need or as a means of finding those marginal tools that we may not use often but definitely need. I have bought and sold a number of tools over the past year as my focus has shifted from flat woodworking to almost exclusively turning and further down to a particular type of turning.

Blog Entries
    Cheaper than golf but, not by much.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    You aren't allowed to count the log splitter and chipper. That's just reaching. Haha. ;-).
    naw - you need those to gather "free wood" - I'll allow them.

Now - I do take issue with the 24" dovetail jig, 4 routers and the Jet drum sander. That's just overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    Another thought to consider...I think it's safe to say that we've all purchased tools, woodworking/turning or otherwise, that we never really utilized sufficiently to justify the costs, etc. One of the great things about Craig's List and forums such as this is the opportunity to sell off under-used tools to recoup at least some of those dollars to go towards things we really need or as a means of finding those marginal tools that we may not use often but definitely need. I have bought and sold a number of tools over the past year as my focus has shifted from flat woodworking to almost exclusively turning and further down to a particular type of turning.
    it's also a great place to pick up tools from people that think they don't need them...not that I would do that....

There is a big difference between need and want, we want a lot of "stuff" we don't need. Figure that out and your tool costs can drop dramatically. One mentioned 5 chucks, he needs one but he wanted 5. Same as me, I need one lathe, but I wanted another small lathe for buffing. I have a friend that uses a 1950's Sears Craftsman lathe, no chucks, just a faceplate, spur drive and live center. He makes do with what he has, and yes he can and does make hollow forms. We don't need a lot of "stuff" that we buy, we buy it because we think we need it, but in reality we only want it.

As they say to the cost of drag racing...... "How fast you wanna go?"

I started on a $100 craigslist Delta. Even turned my first hollow form in Oak end grain with it and sub par tools.

Would I want to do that every-time? nope, too hard on the body. I have the Grizz '0766 now and much sharper tools now. Wood still found free.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    There is a big difference between need and want, we want a lot of "stuff" we don't need. Figure that out and your tool costs can drop dramatically. One mentioned 5 chucks, he needs one but he wanted 5. Same as me, I need one lathe, but I wanted another small lathe for buffing. I have a friend that uses a 1950's Sears Craftsman lathe, no chucks, just a faceplate, spur drive and live center. He makes do with what he has, and yes he can and does make hollow forms. We don't need a lot of "stuff" that we buy, we buy it because we think we need it, but in reality we only want it.
    I never know until I buy it if it is want or need.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

You can spend as much or as little as you want. Myself, I've spent quite a bit. But I don't drink or smoke. Sold the Harley. So, I enjoy using the tools I buy. I see new tools as a way to learn. I won't put a price on it as my wife probably would faint...lol

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    ...I think it's safe to say that we've all purchased tools ... that we never really utilized sufficiently to justify the costs....
    Agreed. It's probably better to take your time in purchasing tools and accessories. I advise noobs to start with the very basics -- a spindle gouge, parting tool, and skew -- and buying the best quality steel available. Then, add the more advanced items as you gain experience.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those "starter sets" that was worth the investment. Either the quality is lacking or there are one or two items that are never used. We've all bought "gimmick" equipment that never really worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Don't let the cost of woodturning scare you away. The chainsaw, bandsaw and truck are only required IF you want to get free wood......
    I read about the "Vortex" and shunned. Dad already owns a truck, bandsaw, and chainsaw; however, if he didn't that "free" wood would not seem to actually be free at all. Sort of like some hunter spend more hunting that it would have cost them to simply purchase meat.