Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nova 1624 vs. Grizzly g0766

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Sean, I have both the Go766 and the Nova 1624. I am selling my 1624 to a friend who has limited funds. I can tell you there is NO comparison between the two lathes. The Go766 is Twice the lathe the 1624 is and I Love this lathe! The more I work on it the more I like it. Can`t wait to get the re-engineered banjo assembly. I have turned some 21" pieces of Heavy mesquite that were lopsided and the GoO766 handled it with ease. If you can get that kind of a deal on the Go766 RUN don`t walk, don`t hesitate! JMHO.
    That's what I want to hear. I had a 1624 and now have a DVR3000 (it's for sale) but my g0766 is supposed to deliver this coming Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I would be interested in seeing a picture posted of your storage cabinet. I'm looking for some good ideas.
    Well, as my luck would have it, I started to trim down what was remaining of the shipping crate, only to realize I'd thrown away the base piece with the glue on risers. I am waiting for some more 1/2" plywood (free) from a friend. Then I wheeled the Shoppie back into the garage and it tipped over, and broke the base casting, so I need to get it repaired before completing. Here's a rendering of what I have planned (using casters from $8 HF furniture dolly). Measures 52" x 2" high x 20" deep, with 36" wide drawer on full extension slides.
    cabinet3.jpgcabinet.jpgI'll complete in a couple of weeks. I did get to turn a 10" walnut bowl, but it developed a crack, so I relegated it to the uh-uh pile. Life's too short to turn bad wood. It would've been nice, but my first bowl 5 years ago was dry walnut, and it exploded on a catch. So, I've learned to be more careful. The tool rest is too high for reaching the centerline, so mods will occur soon.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    You are correct. Takes several months from the time we send drawings, to manufacture, to shipping to us, and then to customers. They are in the works.
    Mr Balolia: Any estimated timeframe for delivery of the new banjos? I am reluctant to modify my original, as I have to pay someone or ask for special favors at work. Also will shorter tool rests be available from Grizzly? Just asking, and thanks for the attention you have given to this forum and the many new Grizzly Lathe owners - we appreciate your involvement. MG
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Well, I got the lathe all loaded in the shop and set up. This thing is a beast! Crated very well and everything looked good, with the exception of a few knicks in the paint on the tailstock. I have my electrician coming over Tuesday of this week to finish hooking up the 220 for me, and then its off to the races. Boy, was this thing heavy! The only other issue I had during assembly was the tool rest stem seemed to have a small flat spot on the bottom, making it just about the same size as the hole in the banjo. It was a struggle getting it in at first, but after a little wrestling (and a lot of swearing) I got it in. It moves fine now, but I cant wait to get the new banjo for this thing so I can get to the full 22".

It's a good feeling to finally be able to plug in and turn on the lathe for the first time. Enjoy.

Red
    RED

I have the Nova and love (not DVR). It's no problem changing the belts, quick and easy. Once in a while I wish it had a lower speed. I do turn the head and turn out rigger, and have turned up to 23 inch. Just have to have the bigger chuck and watch the off balance weight. Sometimes I add some weight to the base. Mostly not. I bought mine on sale 5 years ago and even today would buy it again, or maybe the next size up. 20 inch swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Mr Balolia: Any estimated timeframe for delivery of the new banjos? I am reluctant to modify my original, as I have to pay someone or ask for special favors at work. Also will shorter tool rests be available from Grizzly? Just asking, and thanks for the attention you have given to this forum and the many new Grizzly Lathe owners - we appreciate your involvement. MG
    Jack...Do you have your DVR posted anywhere? thanks...

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    You are correct. Takes several months from the time we send drawings, to manufacture, to shipping to us, and then to customers. They are in the works.
    This situation whilst regrettable simply highlights the pitfalls of not seeking expert advice from range of experienced turners to vet a design or prototype. Identifying potential flaws before the product gets into production or to market is the ideal scenario, however cost savings have to be made somewhere in the design / manufacturing cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Its great that Grizzly have acknowledged the issue and are making it right however I would be asking what does Grizzly propose to do to compensate disappointed G0766 owners for the aggravation, any costs incurred to make the banjo safe to use so new owners can use their lathe and for others any loss of use in the period until the redesigned banjos actually arrive. Perhaps a little sweetener like complimentary face plate/s or a nice live centre would be a gesture of good faith to affected owners. Affected owners do have consumer rights and a reasonable expectation to purchase a product that is "safe to use."

Grizzly are not the only manufacturers / suppliers who have issues with their products. Other well known brands have design flaws with their banjos. Despite representations from a diverse range of users one manufacturer still will not redesign the bed or banjo on their lathes. So kudo's to Grizzly for stepping up.
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 10-26-2015 at 3:28 PM.

Jack...I tried sending you a message earlier but I think it 'bombed' on me, do you have your DVR posted anywhere? thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lilley View Post
    That's what I want to hear. I had a 1624 and now have a DVR3000 (it's for sale) but my g0766 is supposed to deliver this coming Monday.

John I have it posted on Craigslist in Maine with a photo. I have had several emails but no buyers yet. I got my 0766 today and set up tonight, same issues as everyone else but I think it will be okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    Jack...I tried sending you a message earlier but I think it 'bombed' on me, do you have your DVR posted anywhere? thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    [snip]

Its great that Grizzly have acknowledged the issue and are making it right however I would be asking what does Grizzly propose to do to compensate disappointed G0766 owners for the aggravation, any costs incurred to make the banjo safe to use so new owners can use their lathe and for others any loss of use in the period until the redesigned banjos actually arrive. Perhaps a little sweetener like complimentary face plate/s or a nice live centre would be a gesture of good faith to affected owners. Affected owners do have consumer rights and a reasonable expectation to purchase a product that is "safe to use."

Grizzly are not the only manufacturers / suppliers who have issues with their products. Other well known brands have design flaws with their banjos. Despite representations from a diverse range of users one manufacturer still will not redesign the bed or banjo on their lathes. So kudo's to Grizzly for stepping up.
    Hey Geoff, I always enjoy your informed posts from Downunder. I've been so pleased with my Grizzly G0733 lathe for the past three years that I added a G0766 to my shop last week. As an owner of this lathe aggrieved by the banjo issue, I can tell you that I am more than satisfied with Grizzly's solution of sending all of us a redesigned, longer banjo at no cost. It's an utterly reasonable fix, and I will then have two banjos for the lathe. I'll be able to use the original between the headstock and very large bowls from time to time to work on the bottoms, while keeping the new one in place for the inside and sides. You're right, Grizzly really stepped up on this. That's actually been my experience with Grizzly over the years.

David,
    Unless I read the post wrong, Grizzly is sending the base casting and the locking lever not the complete tool rest. All of the other parts will have to be used from the old tool rest. Not that I am complaining. I plan on ordering the remaining parts to put the old rest back together. If I am the only person thinking this then somebody please set me straight.

I copied this from the Nova site: "Easy set up anduse - No need for belt changes. Only one belt positionrequired for full DVR variable speed from 100rpm to 3500rpm, including 5custom pre set speeds for your project roughing to finishing."Granted this is from the DVR upgrade page, but I bought the Nova 1624-44 in2011 and upgraded in 2012 to the DVR upgrade because I did not like the beltchanges. $899.99 on sale for the 1624-44, plus $899.99 for the upgrade.

I have had second thought about getting the Griz 0766 because of the dial aspeed but I still cannot make up my mind. I don’t want to go thru the hassle ofselling my machine and then start all over. I have 220v available, I do not use the legs that came with the lathe because I made a special bench which was featured in the Nova manual.

I also added the extension bed for longer projects which was paid for by a customer to make long grips for fishing accessories.
    I just don't know if my project would come out any better if I made the switch. The biggest bowl I made was 12" and it was not on my Nova it was on a previously owned General International which had electrical problems. How much bigger do I really need?
    Last edited by Robert Willing; 10-27-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added thoughts

14. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    I copied this from the Nova site: "Easy set up anduse - No need for belt changes. Only one belt positionrequired for full DVR variable speed from 100rpm to 3500rpm, including 5custom pre set speeds for your project roughing to finishing."Granted this is from the DVR upgrade page, but I bought the Nova 1624-44 in2011 and upgraded in 2012 to the DVR upgrade because I did not like the beltchanges. $899.99 on sale for the 1624-44, plus $899.99 for the upgrade.

I have had second thought about getting the Griz 0766 because of the dial aspeed but I still cannot make up my mind. I don’t want to go thru the hassle ofselling my machine and then start all over. I have 220v available, I do not use the legs that came with the lathe because I made a special bench which was featured in the Nova manual.

I also added the extension bed for longer projects which was paid for by a customer to make long grips for fishing accessories.
    I just don't know if my project would come out any better if I made the switch. The biggest bowl I made was 12" and it was not on my Nova it was on a previously owned General International which had electrical problems. How much bigger do I really need?
    Robert.......I wish you luck in whatever choice you make. Just know that the Grizzly G0766 is so much more lathe, but not everyone needs a large lathe, as most of what they do will be under 16 inches. For those who are trying to compare the Nova and the Grizzly........know that they are just in two different classes.......the DVR has served a lot of turners well, with some hiccups along the way that I have read about over the years........same is true with the PM3520b and the Jet 1642evs units......the Grizzly is not really any different, except that it was manufactured to metric 25mm post on the toolrest and the boss for the chuck is just a smidgen too large for most aftermarket chucks.......easy fix on both of those issues.

I have not been told this by anyone, but it is my suspicion the reason is that Grizzly wants to sell their own brands of chucks and the metric sizing makes their chuck inserts fit.......proprietary I guess.......again, my conjecture after reading that some turners who got Grizzly chuck had them fit without any adjustments at all to the boss on the spindle.

The G0766 is a heck of a lathe for a super price!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

15. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Hey Geoff, I always enjoy your informed posts from Downunder. I've been so pleased with my Grizzly G0733 lathe for the past three years that I added a G0766 to my shop last week. As an owner of this lathe aggrieved by the banjo issue, I can tell you that I am more than satisfied with Grizzly's solution of sending all of us a redesigned, longer banjo at no cost. It's an utterly reasonable fix, and I will then have two banjos for the lathe. I'll be able to use the original between the headstock and very large bowls from time to time to work on the bottoms, while keeping the new one in place for the inside and sides. You're right, Grizzly really stepped up on this. That's actually been my experience with Grizzly over the years.
    Why David! Guess you just couldn't stand not having the biggest Grizzly, huh?! Seriously, I am tickled to hear you pulled the trigger.......wow, you must have a super setup in your shop with the 0733 and the 0766! Thanks for all the technical and empirical information you share here on the units........your wisdom shines through!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!