Thread: Ugly work

Ugly work

Ever build something you and hate how it turned out. I just built a lathe stand from common lumber. It is rock solid and ugly as a mud fence. Fortunately paint hides a multitude of sins
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ugly? Doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff I've made. Run an 1/8" radius on all the edges, sand everything flush and nice, and put a couple of coats of paint on it. It'll look real purdy.

John

Blog Entries
    Ugly is an aesthetic quality, function if far more important. It looks like you nailed the important part of the design.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No really ... I'd be pleased with that if I made it.

Does it work? Then it's a beauty!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

A blind man on a galloping horse would never notice any errors with it!.
    "Your not makin' Omega watches" (One of my Late Father / 20 year business partner's, many favorite sayings).
    He had many others, mostly "not suitable for publication".

"That was an ugly landing", he said as he walked away, unscathed, from a pile of twisted metal. But it was good enough!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Run an 1/8" radius on all the edges, sand everything flush and nice, and put a couple of coats of paint on it.
    When I looked at the pic, I thought "That's a pretty nice tool stand". I absolutely agree with John - some roundovers or camphers, a good sanding and some paint will make you pleased with it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You aren't supposed to see the lathe stand anyways. It'll be buried in shavings in no time!
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    You aren't supposed to see the lathe stand anyways. It'll be buried in shavings in no time!
    ^^^ This!!!!!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It looks like function over form to me and there is nothing wrong with that in my shop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've built WAY uglier. You've got to try harder than that to surpass my ugly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Moone View Post
    A blind man on a galloping horse would never notice any errors with it!.
    "Your not makin' Omega watches" (One of my Late Father / 20 year business partner's, many favorite sayings).
    He had many others, mostly "not suitable for publication".
    My folks would say, "Will duplicate on your lot". Usually about my run down shack way out in the country that I bought and was living in at the time.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

solid looking stand. Ugly?; I don't think so.. its going in your shop.

15. You know, for about $1,450 you could buy a "Precision Mount Adjustable Aluminum Extrusion Blue Plastic T-Track Premium Lathe Stand and Coffee Maker" and it would look purdy. Why on earth would a wood worker make something out of wood?

Seriously, I have been on a hiatus from wood working the last few years and I've been shocked by the cost of accessories now (including things like push sticks ... PUSH STICKS ... that cost $20). So it's good to see a very nicely executed shop-built stand that works. And probably cost you a lot less than $1,450.